Paint markers are a great way to work with paint while still having control of a pen. They can work on many surfaces including wood. Of course, you don’t want paint that will smear or fade over time so we’ve created a list of the paint pens and markers for drawing on wood.
We researched and analyzed various paint pens and markers to bring you the pens on the market for drawing on wood.
We looked at the quality of the paint, the size of the markers, and the cost to bring you the best of the best. This list of the paint pens for wood is sure to have something that will help you perfect your craft.
Best Paint Pens for Wood:
1. iBayam Paint Marker Pens
One of the oil-based paint markers is by iBayam. This pack of 21 paint markers gives you a wide variety to choose from. Each marker has permanent oil-based ink with a low odor and is waterproof and resistant to fading.
These markers work on almost any surface, including wood and rock, and the paint dries quickly to prevent smearing. People who bought these pens say that they are of great quality with beautiful colors.
They appreciate the affordable cost of these pens without sacrificing quality and love how easy these markers are to use.
With a variety of colors to choose from and a money-back guarantee, these markers are well worth a try.
- With this set, you get 21 different colored paint markers for a great price.
- These markers can get goopy when used often and should be cleaned regularly.
2. Cedar Markers Liquid Chalk Markers
These markers are among the pens for writing on wood. Each of these wide chalk markers delivers bright colors and writes on most surfaces. This set comes with 12 brightly-colored chalk pens and a bonus of 40 chalkboard labels in eight different designs.
The pens are about five and a half inches long with reversible tips. Customers who have purchased these pens love that they are easy to use as well as easy to clean up. They appreciate that these markers can write on many surfaces and are not messy to use.
If you are looking for markers that are semi-permanent and work on many surfaces, the Cedar Markers chalk pens are a perfect choice!
- These markers are easy to use with very little cleanup required.
- The reversible tips on these pens let you write with different widths.
- A bonus set of 40 chalkboard labels with different designs is included in this set.
- These markers work differently on porous surfaces so it is best to test an area first before committing to your work.
- The markers are meant to be erasable so if you want them to be more permanent you will need to use a sealant.
3. Sharpie 1779005 Stained Fabric Markers
While looking for the paint pens for wood you should consider the Sharpie Stained Fabric Markers. These brightly colored paint pens will add a bold statement to your craft.
This pack of paint markers comes with black, blue, green, yellow, orange, red, pink, and purple. The brush tip is great for writing in calligraphy and the ink is resistant to fading.
Frequent users of this pen set enjoy the variety of colors and how easy they are to draw with. They say that the ink is very durable and permanent.
For a set of pens with bold and bright colors, the Sharpie marker pens are exactly what you need. These pens will last you a long time of crafting.
- The brush tip is great for writing in calligraphy as well as drawing.
- The ink in these pens lasts a long time even with frequent use.
- These pens are intended for fabric and may work differently on other surfaces.
- These pens are a bit expensive.
4. Uni-Paint PX-20 Oil-Based Paint Marker
One of the paint pens for wood signs is the Uni-Paint. These thick oil-based markers have a medium tip and write on virtually any surface. Each marker is about six inches long with a wide barrel so it is comfortable to hold.
The ink is non-toxic, acid-free, archival quality, water, and fade-resistant, opaque, and dries quickly to a glossy finish. Those who use this pen set appreciate the versatility of this set of markers and the bold color option.
Many say that these markers will write on any surface as long as you thoroughly clean the surface ahead of time.
These markers come in bold colors and work great on almost any surface. If you are looking for a durable paint marker for an affordable price, consider the Uni-Paint markers.
- These valve-action markers work on most surfaces including plastic, glass, leather, and wood.
- The quick-drying ink dies fast and leaves a glossy finish.
- There is no place to store the cap when the marker is in use.
- If you press these markers too hard, they may drip on your work.
5. Arteza Real Brush Pens
Arteza makes some of the paint pens for calligraphy on wood. This gorgeous set of pens comes with nearly 96 different colors to choose from, you’ll find yourself making excuses just to use these pens.
Each brush pen uses durable nylon bristles to create a fine tip that grows wider as you put pressure on it, making it perfect for calligraphy.
These pens are water-based and work great for dyeing wood and other porous surfaces. Customers say that these pens may take some getting used to but are well worth the investment. They appreciate the variety of colors available.
This set delivers one of the widest varieties of colors of any set on this list. With so many colors to choose from, you will spend hours creating.
- The nylon tip of these brushes is durable, long-lasting, and won’t get misshapen with regular use.
- This set comes with 96 differently colored brush pens and one blending pen.
- The ink does bleed so you want to do a test patch before beginning to work.
- This is an expensive 96 beautifully colored pen set.
6. ARTISTRO White Paint Pens
Artistro makes the white paint pen for wood and this set of five pens will have you creating works of art for hours. These pens have a modern look and the acrylic paint writes smoothly and dries quickly.
These pens use a non-toxic, odor-free acrylic paint that dries glossy and opaque. The slim design of the pen makes it easier to write with than other wider pens on this list.
People like that these pens write smoothly and say that the fine point lines are perfect for small detail work. The ink flow and coverage are appreciated by many and users love that these pens can write on virtually any surface.
If you are specifically looking for white paint pens, this set of five pens has many benefits. With smooth writing and quick-drying ink, you will be able to create beautiful pieces that are fun to create and will last a lifetime.
- The extra fine-tip of these markers makes them great for detail work.
- These pens write on nearly every surface and the ink dries quickly to a glossy finish.
- This set is a bit expensive.
7. TOOLI-ART Acrylic Paint Pens
Another gorgeous set of paint pens for wood crafts is by Tooli-Art. This set of 30 bold-colored paint pens works on a variety of materials including wood and will have you crafting for hours at a time.
Each highly-pigmented pen gives quality opaque coverage on most surfaces and the fine tip works for detailed work. Customers love the unique and bold colors of this set and appreciate the smooth writing and quick-drying ink. Many say they would easily buy this set again.
If you are looking for a variety of bold colors for your woodworking, this is the set for you. At an affordable price, you get 30 beautifully colored and highly pigmented paint markers for all your crafting wants and needs.
- This set comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you are not happy with these pens the company will replace them and give you your money back.
- For an affordable price point, you get 30 different colored paint pens.
- These pens are best stored horizontally and may get messy and sticky if not properly handled.
8. PINTAR Acrylic Paint Markers
Some of the paint markers for wood were created by Pintar. This set of acrylic paint markers is highly pigmented and comes in a wide variety of colors.
These pens write on most surfaces and are about five inches long which makes them comfortable to hold. The smooth-flowing paint dries quickly and is water-resistant so it will last a long time.
Those who use these pens enjoy the opaque coverage they give and how quickly they dry.
These are among the pens for writing on wooden plaques and you will love the vibrant colors. This affordable set of pens will be a great addition to your craft supplies.
- This set includes 26 acrylic paint pens for the money.
- You get two bonus e-books for coloring and sampling your paint pens.
- These pens require maintenance so the paint doesn’t dry out or create pools of paint on your work.
9. ARTOOLI Acrylic Paint Pens
When you are looking for pens that can write on wood consider Artooli acrylic paint pens. This set of 30 different colored acrylic paint pens is perfect for decorating wood.
These pens have a medium tip for bold lines and come in 28 unique colors as well as two white pens and two black pens since they are used more often. The fade-resistant ink dries quickly and works on most surfaces whether they are light or dark.
Frequent users of these pens say they love using Artooli products and appreciate that these markers don’t bleed and the ink dries quickly. They like the assortment of colors and the affordable price.
These paint pens are great for writing on wood and will be a great investment in your craft supplies.
- This set is a great deal for 30 pens.
- These pens come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee or you get your money back.
- These pens must be maintained and stored properly to ensure a long lifespan.
10. Asani Acrylic Paint Markers
Asani makes excellent high-quality paint pens. These acrylic paint markers work great on most surfaces and are water-resistant, fade-resistant, and long-lasting. Each set comes with 12 different bold colors and a fine-point brush tip. The ink is non-toxic, odorless, and safe for children to use.
People say that these paint pens are versatile and convenient to use. These markers are of great value and will have you creating beautiful works of art in no time.
This is a great set of pens for starting with paint markers. It is affordable with a variety of unique colors that are sure to inspire you.
- You get 12 colors for a great price range.
- The fine-point brush tip can create thin and thick lines.
- When you push the tip down to cover it with more paint you run the risk of ink pooling on your work. Be sure to press the tip on a non-work surface for better cleaner ink flow.
Tips on Choosing
When shopping for paint pens for drawing on wood there are a few things you want to consider to be certain that you are buying the pens available for what you want to do. Here are some tips for choosing the paint markers for your craft.
Pay Attention to What Type of Paint the Pen Uses
The type of ink plays an important role in the finished look of your creation. Oil-based ink may require a sealant to prevent smearing or fading throughout the years.
Acrylic paint may be more permanent but can also dry out faster and ruin the pen if it is not properly cleaned. Watercolor paint is great for staining wood but will not leave an opaque finish. Decide what type of paint would work best for you and choose accordingly.
Consider the Cost Per Pen
Some sets of pens may seem more affordable, but if they only come with four pens they may not be as good of a deal as other larger sets of pens. Try to choose based on price per pen as opposed to price per set. That way you’ll know you’re getting the best deal at any time.
Read User Reviews
Nothing can give you a better idea of how well a pen works than the reviews of people who have already tried the pens. User reviews are the closest you can get to knowing how well a pen works without actually trying the pen for yourself.
How to Use Paint Markers/Pens Correctly
If you are looking into the pens for writing on the wood you want to be sure that you know how to properly use a paint pen to prevent them from drying out or messing up your work. Here are the steps to properly use a paint pen to ensure that it will last you a long time and be easy to use.
Set up your working area:
Place newspapers down under and around your working area to keep all surfaces clean while you work.
Keep water and towels nearby for quick access in case any clean-up is necessary.
Prepare your canvas:
When using markers to write on wood, you want to be sure that you prepare the canvas to get the best results.
Be sure that your wood is sanded smooth so it is easy to write on and wipe it off with a lightly damp cloth to be sure there is no dust left behind.
Shake the pen:
Leaving the lid on the marker you want to shake the pen vigorously for one to two minutes to help mix the paint in the pen and keep the ink uniform while in use.
Prime the tip:
Holding the pen upside down, uncap the marker and press the tip in several times. Turn the pen tip down and, using a folded-up newspaper or a paint rag, press the tip down for several seconds until the paint starts to flow to the tip of the pen. Now you’re ready to create!
Clean up properly:
Be sure to wipe any excess paint off the tip of the pen and cap it tightly to prevent the pen from drying out.
Follow any manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and storing the pens to lengthen the life of the pen. Some pens should be stored vertically while others say that they work better when stored horizontally.
Making The Decision
Our list of the paint pens for wood includes a variety of options to choose from. Whether you are looking for strictly white ink or a variety of colors, this list has something that will work for you.
Decide whether you would prefer to work with oil, acrylic, or watercolor, and be sure to pay attention to user reviews when researching which pen will work best for you.
Paint pens make painting easy, with no brushes to clean or paint colors to tote around. With an ink pen, you will have the versatility of working with paint and the convenience of writing and coloring with a pen.
With the variety offered in this list, you are sure to find something that you will love!