Fountain pen users know the intimacy of handwriting a letter or school notes. Handwriting letters or notes with a fountain pen gives a personal touch that is unmatched by typed letters or even those written with ballpoint pens. We researched and analyzed different fountain pens to give you the fountain pens under $100.
When analyzing the fountain pens, we looked at the material used to make the pen, the quality of the ink and ink options, size and shape as well as cost.
This list of fountain pens and the corresponding tips for helping you choose your perfect pen includes everything you need to know to make an informed decision about which is the fountain pen for you.
By the end of this article, you will be excited to get a fountain pen and add some personalization to your notes and letters.
Best Fountain Pens under $100:
DRYDEN Luxury Fountain Pen
Dryden is known for making nice fountain pens and this luxury fountain pen is no exception. The elegant design of this affordable pen will add some style to your office supply collection. Each pen comes with a PDF file of instructions on how to practice handwriting and calligraphy.
The twist-off cap is easy to use and store and the ergonomic grip makes this pen comfortable and easy to use.
This fountain pen has a stainless steel metal body and each nib is triple-checked for quality assurance. The pen is between seven and seven and a half inches and the weight of the pen makes it comfortable and balanced to write with.
Users of this fountain pen say that this pen is comparable to more expensive pens on the market today. They say that the nib writes like a dream and this pen is perfect for note-taking, journaling, or even as a present for a creative writer that you know.
This fountain pen is affordable and adds a sense of style and sophistication to your everyday supplies.
- These fountain pens are specifically designed to cater to left-handed users as well as right-handed users.
- This gorgeous fountain pen comes in eight different bold colors to choose from.
- It can be refilled with cartridges and also comes with a twist converter to use any ink you prefer.
- This fountain pen comes with a 100% money-back guarantee.
- The ink can pool at the nib and leave globs of ink on the paper as well as on your hands.
- Some say that the medium nib is a bit too thick for their preference.
Parker Jotter Fountain Pen
Another great Parker pen on our list of awesome fountain pens for less than $100 is the Jotter fountain pen. The Jotter is a unique design to the Parker company and they finally created the design in fountain pen form. This modern pen is sure to become a favorite in your collection.
The shape of this fountain pen is slimmer than most and the grip is smooth and comfortable to hold on to.
This pen is made from stainless steel with a brushed matte finish and comes in either black, red, blue, silver with chrome trim, or silver with gold-colored trim. The classic arrow-shaped pocket clip of the Parker brand adds style and sophistication to this simple look.
Customers are surprised by the quality of this pen for such an affordable price. They enjoy the slim design of the pen while appreciating the durability of the stainless steel composition.
This is an elegant and sophisticated pen for a fraction of the price of other pens like it. You can add this pen to your collection in one of five beautiful colors.
- The medium nib of this pen writes bold lines and comes with one cartridge of water-based blue ink.
- This gorgeous pen is made of stainless steel and is affordable for under $20.
- The nib of this pen has been known to skip on the page.
- This pen does not come with an ink converter so if you are looking to use an inkpot with your favorite ink you will have to buy the converter separately.
Waterman Graduate Chrome Fountain Pen, Fine Nib, Blue Ink
The final pen on our list of quality fountain pens under $100 is the Waterman Graduate. This handsome fountain pen has a fine point nib and comes with a classic gift box if you are planning to buy this fountain pen as a gift.
The design of this fountain pen is slimmer than other pens on this list which makes it comfortable to hold and the ergonomic plastic grip keeps your hands from cramping as you write.
This fountain pen is made of smooth chrome with a chrome metal finish and trim. The pen is slim, lightweight, and about seven inches long. The fine-tip nib has blue ink and is perfect for writing letters or taking notes.
Frequent users of this pen like the durable design and function that you get for under $20. The sleek and modern design of this pen and the smooth blue ink with a fine-tip nib make this pen great for school, home, or office. Many users say that this pen works better than the more expensive pens available.
The Waterman Graduate packs a punch into a gorgeous design. The chrome finish and refillable ink will keep this pen durable and reusable for years to come.
- The fine-point tip glides across the paper smoothly and can be refilled with any ink of your choosing.
- The chrome metal finish and trim with a chrome pocket clip make this pen look amazing and keep the pen durable for long-term travel and use.
- While this is a great pen for beginners, if you are looking for a more sophisticated pen, try another pen on this list.
Pilot Metropolitan Collection Fountain Pen
One of the most popular fountain pens on our list is the Pilot Metropolitan Collection. This is by far the fountain pen under $25 for its looks and functionality. The design of this pen mixes modern and classic designs to create something uniquely new.
This fountain pen has a comfortable plastic grip for easy writing. The brass barrel with stainless accents body gives this fountain pen a good weight and the pen is about six inches long. The magnetic pen cap stays secure when you have the pen closed and fits comfortably on the top of the pen when you are using it.
Customers of this pen appreciate that it is sophisticated and affordable. They say that the pen holds a lot of ink and that they can choose between ink cartridge refills or using their preferred ink pot with the press-plate converter. Many say that this is a great entry-level fountain pen.
This is a good fountain pen at an affordable price. If you want something elegant and modern that will still function and stay in your collection for years to come, this is the pen for you.
- Includes a metal carrying case with a clear window to display the pen and a foam insert to keep the pen secure.
- This pen comes with a press-plate ink converter to use whichever ink you prefer.
- This fountain pen makes a great gift for anyone in your life who likes to write or draw.
- The nib on this pen has been known to leave blobs of ink on the page. Using a cartridge instead of the ink converter can help prevent this.
Lamy Safari Fountain Pen
The fountain pen under $25 is the Lamy Safari. The modern design of this durable pen will be a conversation piece among your peers. The pocket clip and ink window are two features that set this pen apart from the rest and the fine-point nib will give you crisp lines every time.
The grip on this pen has three sides to make it ergonomic and easy to write for hours without hurting your hand.
The body of this pen is made of durable plastic with a dark black coated steel nib to match the body of the pen. The pen is about eight inches long and the ink window lets you see how much ink the pen has left so you know when to refill the ink.
Most users enjoy the modern and minimalist design of this fountain pen and say that it is a great pen for the price. Customers of this pen say that it is of great quality for the price.
The minimalistic design of this handsome pen is simple and the pen itself is durable and writes smoothly. If you are looking for a fountain pen with a unique and modern style then search no more.
- The ink window easily allows you to see how much ink is left in your pen so you can refill at the right time with the ink cartridge you prefer.
- This pen comes in charcoal black as well as one that is red, white, and blue.
- Because the cap does not screw on it can come off in your bag or pencil case and the pen may leak ink everywhere. Be sure to use the pocket clip to keep this pen in a secure place.
- This fountain pen can use a cartridge converter to use whatever ink you like, but the converter is sold separately.
TWSBI ECO Fountain Pen Black F Nib
The Eco fountain pen by TWSBI is the fountain pen for under $50. The unique design of this pen will be a constant conversation piece among your friends, family, and coworkers. This fountain pen comes with a translucent carrying case and instructions on how to fill the pen with ink.
The shape of the pen is short until you put the cap at the top of the pen which helps with balance. Because this pen is plastic it is lighter weight than other pens on this list which provides for quicker writing but may throw off the balance of the pen.
This pen is made from clear plastic that allows you to see the ink inside. The screw-on cap clips easily onto the top of the pen while you are using it and the piston filler allows you to quickly and easily fill this pen with your favorite ink.
People who use this pen say that it is a great beginner pen for people who have never owned a fountain pen before. They say that the pen is easy to use and refill with any ink you desire.
If you want a fountain pen with a unique design that you can get for less than $50, this Eco fountain pen by TWSBI is the perfect pen for you.
- There is an inner cap to perfectly seal this pen when it is not in use.
- This fountain pen is available in various nib sizes from EE to stub 1.1 nibs.
- Ink can occasionally pool at the pen tip when writing which leads to blobs of ink on the paper.
- Some people say that this pen is too light for comfortable writing.
Picasso 902 Gentleman Collection Fountain Pen Original Box (Relievo2)
Another great pen in our list of amazing fountain pens under $100 is the Picasso 902. The sophisticated design of this pen is sure to be a talking point among your peers. Each of these fountain pens comes with a hardcover either a box for storage or to give this pen as a gift.
The matte-finished grip makes this fountain pen easy to hold and the size and weight of this pen make it comfortable to write with.
Each Picasso 902 is made of metal with either gold or silver-colored engravings on the cap of the pen. The steel thick-point nib writes easily and the included leather-like hardcover case makes this pen great to give as a gift or to keep in your collection of office supplies.
Frequent users of this pen love the elegant engraving on the pen cap and say that this is one of the most stylish fountain pens they’ve ever owned.
If you are looking for a fountain pen with style, this beautifully designed pen is perfect for your collection.
- The faux leather case is great for storing this pen or giving it as a gift.
- This pen design comes in five unique colors with either gold or silver-colored accents and finishes.
- For less than $50 you can get this stylishly elegant fountain pen with black ink.
- Refillable ink lets you use whichever ink you prefer when refilling the pen.
- The nib of this pen has been known to flow fast and can occasionally leave blobs of ink on the page.
czxwyst 618 Toso Piston Fountain Pen (Transparent with Golden Clip)
Another transparent pen on our list of great fountain pens is the czxwyst 618. The modern design of this fountain pen allows you to see the ink inside so you know when you are running low and need to refill. Each pen comes with either gold-colored or silver-colored pocket clips and nibs.
This pen comes with a comfortable grip for good balance and the comfort of writing for hours. The screw-on cap makes it easy to keep on top of the pen when in use and makes sure you won’t lose the cap.
This clear pen is made of hardened resin that is clear so you can see the ink as you are using it. It is about five and a half inches long making it comfortable to hold and giving the pen decent balance.
Customers of this pen say that it is amazing. It writes as well as other pens in its price range and they love the clear barrel so you can see how much ink you have. They like how easy this pen is to refill with the ink of their choice.
The Wing Sung clear fountain pen is a great affordable fountain pen. If you are in the market for your first fountain pen, this is the one to try!
- The clear barrel of this pen lets you see how much ink you have at all times so you know exactly when you have to refill.
- This pen makes the list for being one of the under $30.
- Available with either gold or silver-colored accents.
- The nib on this pen may be more scratchy than other nibs.
Parker Sonnet Stainless Steel Fountain Pen + Notebook Set
The smoothest fountain pen under one hundred bucks is the Parker Sonnet fountain pen. This gorgeous set comes with a hardcover notebook to record notes and lists or to use as a journal.
The twist-open pen cap will stay on in your bag and the grip will keep your hand comfortable while writing. The arrow-shaped pocket clip will keep your fountain pen secure and organized.
This beautiful pen is made from brushed stainless steel with a chrome finish and arrowhead pocket clip. The size and shape of this pen are designed to have the weight balance for long periods of writing.
People love the included hardcover notebook and say that this gift set is perfect for creative writers and young professionals in their life. They say that the ink writes smoothly and the pen is a comfortable weight to write with.
For around $100 you can get this beautiful-looking fountain pen gift set for you or as a gift for a writer in your life. With the included notebook and ink refill you will be jotting down your thoughts and writing notes for years to come.
- This fountain pen comes with a hardcover notebook and a gift box in case you want to gift this to a creative person in your life.
- The weight and balance of this pen are optimized for writing comfort.
- Each pen is checked by hand before delivery for quality assurance.
- The included notebook has a built-in bookmark and an elastic band to keep the notebook closed.
- The ink does smear slightly so if you are left-handed you may want to consider looking into a different type of ink refill.
- This fountain pen is on the pricey side of our list.
Pilot Fountain Pen Custom 74
The Pilot Custom 74 is one of the fountain pens under $200. This classic fountain pen with a screw-on cap and gold inlays will be a stunning addition to your stationery collection. The durable material will keep this pen functional for many years.
The design of this fountain pen and the molded grip make the pen easy to hold and write for long periods. The ink flows smoothly making your letter-writing experience pleasant and comfortable.
The pen is six inches long and made of durable plastic. The cap screws on and off like a traditional fountain pen to keep the cap secure. This pen is a comfortable weight for writing at around half an ounce.
People like this pen for the medium nib and the fact that it can be used with any ink of their choosing. Some even say that this is their all-time favorite pen and they have purchased multiple of this gorgeous fountain pen.
If you like the look of a classic fountain pen, the Pilot Custom 74 is a great weight and size with a durable plastic barrel and gold-colored pocket clip. With the smooth writing ink and screw-on cap, this fountain pen will enhance your writing experience. This is truly one of the fountain pens under $100.
- The screw-on cap will keep your pen protected while it is in your bag or pencil case.
- The ink included with this fountain pen writes smoothly and dries quickly.
- Because the pen is made of plastic it may show scratches if you drop or scrape it.
- This pen only comes with a black barrel with no options to choose other colors.
Advantages of Using Fountain Pens
Though fountain pens have fallen out of fashion over the years, there are still many benefits to adding a fountain pen to your collection for daily use. Here are some of the benefits you get from using a fountain pen:
Improve your handwriting:
Because fountain pens have a variety of nib sizes and ink types, they can help you improve your handwriting.
If your handwriting is generally smaller you will want a fine-point nib, and if you tend to write larger letters, a medium-point nib will give you bold letters every time.
People tend to generally be more careful when writing with fountain pens as well which makes for neater handwriting.
They are cost-effective:
Although there is a larger initial investment in using a fountain pen, they pay for themselves in refillable ink and longevity.
Because fountain pens are built to last, you can continue to use the same pen for years instead of running through disposable pens which cost more.
Add style to your collection:
Most ballpoint pens are built to be disposable and generally aren’t built with style in mind.
Fountain pens come in a variety of designs with various options to add variety to your office supply collection.
Better for the environment
Unlike other pens that you simply throw away when they run out of ink, fountain pens are refillable and generally more durable than disposable pens so that they will last for years. When you are using fewer disposable plastic products you are being kinder to the environment.
No pressure means no pain:
Because the ink from a fountain pen flows directly from the nib there is no pressure required when writing. Because you can write softer while still getting bold lines, you put less pressure on your hand which will lead to less fatigue after writing for a long time.
Tips on Choosing
With this list of the fountain pens, you are ready to choose which will work best for you. While choosing a fountain pen is primarily a case of personal preference, there are a few things you want to keep in mind when you are looking for your perfect fountain pen.
What is the pen made of?
Fountain pens are generally made out of either plastic or stainless steel. Plastic pens are generally lighter if you are looking for a lightweight balance to your pen whereas pens made of stainless steel will be a little heavier and can make for more comfortable writing.
The material of the pen also has an impact on how long-lasting the pen will be. Plastic has the possibility of cracking or breaking which can cause the ink to leak. A metal fountain pen will withstand scratches and generally last longer than its plastic counterparts.
What are the dimensions and weight of the pen?
You want to find a pen that fits comfortably in your hand. Some fountain pens are designed to be slimmer than others which is better for people with smaller hands. Most fountain pens are usually wider than ballpoint pens to accommodate the ink cartridges.
The weight of a pen can also play a part in your writing comfort. Most people generally prefer to write with heavier fountain pens to have more control over their writing.
Does the pen have good reviews?
Keep an eye on the reviews of the pen. While all the fountain pens on this list have great reviews, there may be a certain aspect of the pen that you are curious about like nib size or the weight of the pen.
Most reviews include specifics that can help answer any questions you may have about the pen you are looking at.
What is the cost?
This list provides a variety of options at prices ranging from around $10 up to around $90. If you are just beginning with fountain pens you may want to start with something more affordable.
Making The Decision
This list of fountain pens under $100 provides you with a comprehensive analysis of 10 of the fountain pens on the market today. Whether you are looking for an everyday carry pen for note-taking or journaling, or you want to find the perfect gift for a writer in your life, there is something on this list that will work for you.
The benefits of using a fountain pen and the tips on choosing which pen will be best for you will help you narrow down your decision to pick the fountain pen. With all these resources, it is just a matter of browsing this list and picking the fountain pen for your needs.