We feel your pain. There’s nothing more irritating than working on a project using glue that doesn’t stick.
It feels extra annoying when the glue seems to stick into your hands more than on the cardboard projects that you’re supposed to bond together. Finding good-quality glue can be a bit of a mystery, but the best glue is an adhesive that is appropriate for the material you are working on.
After road-testing several glue brands, we have come to the conclusion that the popular Elmer’s glue stick is the best glue for cardboard use. It is non-toxic, washable, and very safe to use even for children. The best part is it is affordable. Read on below to see our detailed review of the best glues for cardboard use in the market today:
Best Glues for Cardboard:
1. Elmer’s All-Purpose School Glue SticksView at Amazon
This product is the best glue for cardboard, foam boards, display boards, and many other things because of its strong adhesive quality without breaking the bank. This washable glue is safe for little hands because it is non-toxic. It is also safe for sticking photos for your scrapbook projects because it is acid-free.
This kind of Elmer’s glue stick is loved by many people, especially teachers who noticed that even small children can apply it easily without any clumps. Each box comes with thirty pieces, with each piece having generous amounts of the product.
This glue is a great addition to any home, school, or office. Get yours today to begin enjoying its many benefits. This reliable brand can get the job done easily without breaking your wallet.
- It is non-toxic and very safe for all hands.
- This comes in a fast-drying formula for quick results.
- Since this is washable, clean-up is extremely easy with little fingers.
- The product is colorless when dry making it perfect for many arts and crafts projects.
- Some people complained that the glue sticks broke off easily.
- Tends to dry way too fast, when preschool kids handle it, one side may already be dry before they are finished.
- A few noted that when the product was delivered, it did not come in 30 pieces as stated in the description.
2. Gorilla Super Glue GelView at Amazon
This tough Gorilla is the best glue for cardboard-to-wood applications. It comes in a thick formula that doesn’t run easily, giving you better control for less sticky fingers. The consistency also makes it easy to apply to various surfaces including projects that require a vertical application.
This glue is a cyanoacrylate glue that works on materials including plastic, metal, ceramic, stone, paper, rubber, and more. It is no wonder why many people find this extremely useful because it is tough like a Gorilla that it is named after.
Overall, this product is still the best for sticking glue and wooden projects. No personal complaints whatsoever when we tried them ourselves. Don’t monkey around (pun intended) and go check it out. Order a bottle or two to feel the power of the Gorilla.
- This Gorilla allows good control for easy application.
- It is great for long-lasting repairs because it can dry in a matter of ten to forty-five seconds.
- The product comes with an anti-clogging cap and a metal pin inside for the sake of creating an airtight seal to extend its shelf life.
- This product is clear making it a great choice for any kind of project.
- After applying the glue and holding the pieces of several broken metals and porcelain pieces, the resulting bond was very weak and the items fell apart.
- The product is runny like ordinary superglue and comes with a hefty price tag.
- The bottle is not full and the product doesn’t reach the top, which is a cheap marketing gimmick to make it appear you get more than you’re paying for.
3. AmazonBasics Purple Washable School Glue SticksView at Amazon
This Amazon Basics glue brand comes in generous amounts making it a great bonding agent for larger projects. The Amazon Basics glue stick is the best glue for corrugated cardboard because aside from working well with big items, it also successfully adheres even to rough surfaces.
Many people find this pretty purple glue a great must-have for their gluing needs because it dries clear. Most of all, it is non-toxic, making it safe even for little hands.
Getting this particular glue is also a good choice because of the generous amounts it comes within each order. Just remember to immediately replace the lid when you are done so as not to dry it out.
- Easily washes away from your hands and your clothes, ensuring easy cleanup.
- When ordered, this brand comes with a lot of products, so sharing is possible with many items to go around. This product is safe even for photos.
- Comes with a one-year limited Amazon warranty, so if all the glue sticks dry unexpectedly, you will get a replacement.
- Dries too quickly causing wastage.
- Adhesive quality is not for all project types but is best suited to paper and cardboard boxes.
4. Avery Glue Stick WhiteView at Amazon
This particular Avery Glue Stick is a great brand because it goes on with ease minimizing clumps and wrinkles. This product is touted as reliable and trustworthy, being ACMI certified and conforming to ASTM D 4236. The certification comes from an independent testing organization that vouches for the reliability of products for the benefit of consumers.
People love this white glue product because of its versatility when it comes to bonding different types of materials. Most of all, each stock comes with generous amounts of products that can cover a large area.
The Avery Glue Stic can still do a good job of binding your arts and crafts projects. Check it out online, so you can see if it is the right glue stick for you.
- Creates a strong and permanent adhesive.
- Washes off very easily from hands and clothing.
- A great alternative to pushing pins for sewing fabric because you won’t poke your fingers, stitch everything together, then wash the project off with ease after its completion.
- Affordable product that doesn’t break the bank.
- Make sure to read the fine print because it comes in the jumbo or smaller size.
- Some product deliveries have caused confusion with people thinking they are getting the bigger size bundle, only to be disappointed when it is not.
5. Loctite Ultra Gel Control Super Glue 4-GramView at Amazon
As the brand name says Loctite has the ability to lock tightly between things you are bonding together. This viscous glue can do its job without you having to ferociously clamp down on the items. It will dry in about five to ten seconds after holding.
A lot of people love this product for their homes because this Ultra Gel is water-resistant and not brittle. It can work with many different materials like rubber, ceramic, wood, leather, some plastics, and even metal. It has a no-drip formula making it ideal to use, even with vertical surfaces.
Since Loctite is strong enough to work with those hard materials, this is indeed the best glue for cardboard and paper projects. Just be careful not to let it spill onto your hands.
- The product can be purchased in a variety of amounts depending on how much you need.
- It can stand up to harsh conditions including heat, cold, vibration, and vertical force thanks to the brand’s “rubber-toughened formula.”
- Loctite comes with an easy squeeze-designed bottle that gives you control to get the amount you need.
- Its cover can serve as a pushpin to clear away the dry parts.
- Do not make the mistake of getting this into your hands. It will take forever to get the thing out.
- It has a strong chemical smell to it, so be mindful of the fumes.
6. Super Glue 15187 Gel, Clear- pack of 12View at Amazon
Super Glue is a super product that has been in the market for a long time. Brand name recall is strong for this one and rightfully so because it is able to bring a great deal. These 2-gram super glue tubes come in a twelve-pack bundle, making a total budget-friendly choice.
This household product is reusable. Most of all, people love it because it can also be used in many nonporous materials like metal and pottery. This is also the best glue for thick cardboard. Super glue is indeed super because it comes with super strength.
Be sure to stock up on this quick-setting glue for your home. This is great to have for those accidental moments when you need to do a quick patch-up job on a broken piece of pottery, a school project, and the like.
- The product is very affordable.
- It has broad versatility and can be used for many things.
- Very quick drying and setting glue.
- Because it dries swiftly, you have to work fast in gluing the pieces that you want to bind.
- Do not get this on your hands as it takes forever to clean out.
- Not intended for the use of children because the chemical smell alone shows it is toxic.
7. Starbond EM-02 Super Fast Thin, Premium Instant CA Super Glue Plus Extra Cap and MicrotipsView at Amazon
This Starbond is a premium ethyl cyanoacrylate superglue that has been tested in laboratories to check and ensure its quality. Through a scientific way called capillary action, this unique product has the capability of penetrating minute fractures, tiny pores, and small cracks.
As a result, this is a high-performance and industrial-grade type of adhesive makings it an all-around glue for many projects. This is the best glue for cardboard, furniture, pen-making, fossil prep, inlays, and the like. Many people have stocked up on this glue for their home use.
This Starbond glue gets a five-star bonding rating because of its rockstar gluing capabilities. Its cons are a small price to pay for something that effortlessly gets its job done.
- Comes with a lot of extra applicators in various sizes, which can unclog the tips and provide precision application with smaller tip endings.
- This has a long shelf life and can last for several years if kept in optimal condition.
- Comes with a limited 30 Month shelf life guarantee.
- This has the consistency of water, so the application needs patience to control.
- Be wary of getting this on your hands as it is a highly chemical glue.
- It can leave a yucky residue and an unpalatable scent on your skin should you come in contact with this.
8. Bob Smith Industries BSI-157H Maxi Cure/Insta-Set Combo Pack (3 oz. Combined)View at Amazon
This Maxi-Cure is the best glue for boxes, bond metals, plastic, ceramics, rubber, glass, leather, and more. It comes in a combination pack of CA (cyanoacrylate), an accelerator called Insta-Set, and an application tip. Using all three means your project will look great in no time.
- Fast-acting and drying because of the combo of the CA and Insta-set accelerator.
- This can be easily carved with a blade and sanded because its finish has the same plastic texture.
- It is very compatible with many surfaces.
- This is a bit more pricey compared to the other products available in the market.
- Not safe for use by children.
9. Scotch Super Glue Liquid, .07 Ounces (AD114)View at Amazon
The Scotch brand is eponymous with good quality because who does not know the Scotch tape? This super liquid glue comes in four two a pack. But each of those tubes is teeny that they can only be used for a single application. This is the best glue for big cardboard projects, wood, metals, glass, ceramics, and more.
- Comes with a very fast-drying liquid-type formulation.
- Has the capacity to bond with many different kinds of materials.
- You have to be skilled in gluing things too quickly because of the drying rate.
- Ironically, you have to be careful in application because this can easily get stuck to the fingers.
- The scent reeks of a chemical odor that is very undesirable.
- Keep out of the reach of children and pets.
10. Fastcap 2P-10 Super Glue Adhesive 2.25 Ounce Thick and 12 Ounce Activator Combo PackView at Amazon
This particular glue comes in a combination pack with a big metal can that is good for all thickness levels. It also comes with a smaller activator pack with a pointed tip for easy application. This is a good glue for your cardboard projects. It is also excellent in filling gaps and binding joints.
- The product is very easy to use.
- It comes in a combo pack, with a big amount of product, that gives value for money. This brand can deal with a wide variety of products from wood, cardboard, steel, etc.
- Keep away from children and pets because it is chemically laden and toxic.
- Not so many reviews because it is not widely popular.
As you can see, there are many brands of glue that you can use in the market today. For basic cardboard gluing needs, we are happy with the ordinary Elmer’s glue stick. It is non-toxic, washable, and even safe for children. For more hardcore cardboard sticking projects, we feel that the best man to address that job is the Super Glue.
After all, it is not called super glue for nothing! Be sure to have a stock of these top bonding adhesives in your home for projects and emergencies. Glue is great for washi tape and more achievement in your planner.