If you are looking for the best brushes for oil painting, look no further. This article includes a list of the best brushes available at a variety of price points. We will show you the pros and cons of each brush and explain which factors are important to look for when researching paintbrushes. Read on to find your oil painting brush today!
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Brushes for Oil Painting
Not all brushes are created equal and choosing brushes for oil painting can be a challenge. Different types of paint brushes for oil painting have different features and various quality paintbrush brands offer different features. Here are some things to consider when shopping for your oil painting brushes:
Both natural and animal hair brushes generally work equally as well as synthetic bristles so you can choose either based on personal preference.
Artists who intend to do more detailed work generally prefer to work with shorter handles, whereas larger pieces are easier to paint with longer handles.
This list provides options that are affordable as well as more expensive professional options. Decide your budget as well as what you are willing to pay per brush and decide accordingly.
Some sets on this list come with carrying cases or plastic bristle covers to protect your brushes. While these accessories may mean a higher price point, they can help to preserve your brushes in the long run.
The ferrule is the metal piece that holds the bristles onto the handle. Every brush set on this list has double-crimped ferrules. Some are made of nickel and some are made of aluminum but all are rust-free.
Choosing between bristle types and ferrule materials may seem overwhelming but rest assured that any brush set on this list would be a great addition to your collection. Whether you are looking to add to your collection or find a gift for an artist in your life, determine which factors are most important to you.
Deciding which of these factors is most important to you will help you better be able to choose the right brush set. While the decision ultimately comes down to personal choice, these are the primary factors to take into consideration.
Best Brushes for Oil Painting:
Paint Brush Set by heartybay, 20 Pcs Nylon Hair BrushesView at Amazon
The best artist’s brushes for oil painting are key to getting precise lines and brush strokes. This set of 20 brushes comes with sizes for broad strokes as well as fine lines.
The sturdy wooden handles and anti-shedding nylon bristles ensure that this brush set will last you a long time. The ferrules are made of nickel and will not rust, and they are double-crimped so they won’t come loose with regular use.
People appreciate this paintbrush set for the short handles, which make detail work easier. They say that the bristles are soft and work great for oil painting.
- The anti-rust ferrules are made of nickel and keep the bristles tightly in place.
- This set has short wooden handles, which are easier to hold for better precision when painting.
- The wooden handles are painted and the paint may wear off with regular use.
Crafts 4 All Paint Brushes Set 10 PiecesView at Amazon
One of the best brush sets for oil painting is by Crafts 4 All. This fun-looking set of wooden oil paintbrushes comes in a variety of fine tips for detail work.
The wooden handles are short and the nylon bristles come in a variety of fine tips for precision oil painting. The ferrules are made of rust-free aluminum and are double-crimped. This set makes a great starter kit for someone wanting to get into oil painting.
Customers use this oil paintbrush set for crafting as well as canvas painting. They say that the brushes do not fray or come out in the paint and that the price is affordable.
- 10 different brushes with nylon bristles are easy to clean and re-shape without fraying or shedding.
- Can be used for canvas painting, lettering, crafting, and more.
- While this set is great for beginner and intermediate painters, this is not a professional brush set.
eBoot Detail Paint Brushes Set
This is easily one of the best-looking sets of brushes on our list. The eBoot brush set is painted silver with triangular handles for added comfort.
This set of fine tips comes in five different sizes to give you the most precise detail in your oil painting. The ergonomic handle prevents hand pain when working on fine details.
Users of this brush set say that it is extremely comfortable to use, even for long periods. Many appreciate that the wood is sturdy and does not seem flimsy like other paintbrush kits may be.
- eBoot makes some of the best brushes for oil painting on canvas and this fine tip set will not disappoint.
- Each brush comes with a protective plastic tube to keep the brush hairs from fraying.
- The triangular wooden handle is ergonomically designed for your comfort.
- This set is a little more expensive at over $10 for five brushes.
Transon Round Oil Painting Detail Paint Brushes
The final set on our list of oil paint brushes is the Transon eight-piece set, These calligraphy-style brushes vary in tip thickness for broad strokes as well as superfine lines.
The bristles of these brushes are made from all-natural goat hair blended with nylon for a durable brush that picks up a lot of paint and glides smoothly on your canvas.
People say the care instructions provided with this brush set help to keep these brushes clean and maintained so they can last for a long time. They say this is a great kit for beginners.
- Round brush design allows for broad strokes as well as fine lines from the same brush tip.
- The combination of nylon and goat hair bristles is durable while proving soft brush strokes each time.
- The goat hair fibers in this brush may shed more easily than standard nylon brushes.
- The metallic paint on the handle of these brushes may chip off onto your canvas.
D’Artisan Shoppe Miniature Paint Brushes Detail SetView at Amazon
This sleek set of high-quality oil paintbrushes boasts seven layers of painted wood, meaning no more paint flaking onto your canvas while you’re working.
This 12-piece set of fine-tipped oil paintbrushes is ergonomically designed and the double-crimped ferrules ensure that your bristles will stay on and sturdy for hours of miniature painting.
Customers say that these are the most comfortable fine-tipped brushes that they have ever used. With the included plastic carrying tube, these brushes make the perfect gift for any artist in your life.
- The triangular shape of these brushes it ergonomic so your hand won’t hurt after hours of painting.
- The synthetic brush hair is easy to clean and re-shape.
- Included plastic brush organizer makes this set a great gift for you or a loved one.
- These brushes are more professional and because of that, they are more expensive.
- There are no large brush options in this set.
Art Advantage Oil and Acrylic Brush Set, 24-Piece
When it comes to professional oil paintbrushes Art Advantage makes a great brush set for a variety of different paints. With a rugged carrying case, these brushes are great for students or artists on the go.
This 24-piece set comes in a professional canvas brush roll-up carrying case. The long-handled brushes come in a variety of sizes, ranging from broad strokes to fine lines
People who use this set say that they love the carrying case and the variety of brush sizes. They say that the value of this top-of-the-line brush set cannot be beaten.
- A convenient carrying case included allows you to easily store your brushes on the go.
- This affordable set comes with 24 pieces for just over $15.
- These brushes are long-handled and may be less convenient for more detailed work.
- Because the handles are wooden, they may chip or dent.
Mont Marte Art Paint Brushes Set
This brush set comes with the most variety of brush types with 15 different sizes. This is a great paintbrush for oil-based paint because of the Taklon bristles.
Each paintbrush is easy to clean and reshape. The ferrule is made of rust-free aluminum and is double-crimped. Each fine-tip brush in this set comes with its own plastic protection tube to keep the bristles from fraying or bending out of shape.
Many people say that these are good quality brushes for their price point. With the variety of brush tips to choose from your possibilities are limited only by your imagination.
- Double-crimped aluminum ferrule means that your bristles are secure and your paintbrush is durable.
- Included zipper holder lets you carry your paintbrushes with you wherever you go.
- This set is more expensive than others on this list at just under $25.
Adi’s Art Pro Paint Brushes Set for Acrylic
If you’re looking for the best beginner paintbrushes then this set is perfect for you! This elegant, light-colored set of 10 brushes is great if you are just starting out or if you are a professional oil painter looking for a standard set of brushes to fill out your collection.
These nylon brushes for oil painting have birch wood handles with synthetic bristles and an aluminum ferrule. Adi’s Art Pro is so confident that you will love these brushes that they offer a 12-month guarantee on this set.
Consumers say that these brushes are comfortable to use and work as well as most professional brushes at an affordable price.
- A 100% satisfaction guarantee means that you can try these brushes risk-free to see if they’re right for you.
- The bristles on this brush have a tendency to fall out so I would recommend crimping your ferrule with each use.
D’Artisan Shoppe Artist Paint Brush Set Professional 15pc
If you want expensive paintbrushes without breaking the bank, D’Artisan Shoppe has the perfect brush set complete with a carrying case. This set has a professional look and feels without compromising on quality.
This 15-piece set comes with four natural hog hair bristle brushes as well as 11 synthetic bristle brushes, each brush holds a significant amount of paint and glides across the canvas. From the broadest brush down to the finest tip, you can create masterpieces with this set.
Those who use these brushes say that they are professional quality brushes at an affordable price. They say that the brushes are of outstanding quality and comfort.
Many people like the sturdy feel of the table as it means that it can handle a lot of weight. Others, however, are less than impressed by the 300 tilt, which is quite mediocre.
- A convenient carrying case makes this portable brush set a perfect gift for any artist in your life.
- The combination of hog bristle brushes and synthetic bristle brushes gives you a unique painting experience based on which brush you use.
- This brush set is among the more expensive set on our list.
Santa Fe Art Supply Paint Brush Set with Carrying Case
The gorgeous and functional carrying case allows you to travel with this brush set and set it up for easy access when you need it.
This set comes with 15 brushes and a bonus detail brush. The case allows for easy organization and the brush tips include a fan-tip, round-tip, and flat-tip, among others. The long handles are made of stained wood and the bristles make this set the best synthetic brushes for oil painting.
Customers love the case that this brush set comes in and say that it helps to protect and preserve the brushes. They say that the brushes are well crafted and a great set to give as a gift.
- The stained wood means that paint won’t chip off and fall onto your canvas.
- The zipper carrying case allows brushes to stand up for easy access when in use.
- This is a more expensive kit with 15 brushes for just under $45.
Making The Decision
My top pick of best brushes for oil painting is easily the Art Advantage Oil and Acrylic Brush Set. The 24-piece offers a wide variety of brush sizes and the convenient canvas carrying case makes transporting your brushes easy.
Of course, if you are simply looking for a basic brush kit at an affordable price to get you started with oil painting, the Crafts 4 All Paint Brush Set gives you 10 brushes for under $10.
Whichever set you decide on, you will soon be spending hours working on your oil painting craft!