Limiting anything that interrupts your flow, such as needing to scribble to get a pen writing, improves your productivity. It might seem like a small thing, but that brief annoyance of a pen not writing the first time does matter.
We have reviewed the best office pens that have reliable ink flow. Other factors we considered are ergonomics and how long the ink lasts.
We have tried many of these pens ourselves in our work. Keep reading to find the best office pens for your needs.
Best Office Pens for Note-Taking:
1. Pilot FriXion Clicker Erasable Gel PensView at Amazon
We consider the Pilot FriXion Clicker Erasable Gel Pens the best gel pens for office work because you can erase if you made a spelling mistake. Their erasers are designed to not leave bits and pieces behind, a problem that some other erasers have.
These pens are retractable and refillable. You don’t have to worry about losing the cap, and you don’t need to throw out the pens when they are out of ink.
One thing to be aware of is you shouldn’t use these pens for signing documents or filling out important documents because the ink can be erased.
Customers love that the pens retract from the clip rather than the eraser end because it makes them convenient to use. Some customers had problems with the pens no longer working after being left in a hot car.
Leaving written materials in a hot car also caused the ink to fade. As long as you keep your pens in your office and the paper you write on is never in a hot environment, they should be fine.
- 0.7 mm point for small to medium handwriting
- Eraser to cleanly remove ink from the paper without a mess
- Retractable, so that you never lose the cap
- Erases without leaving residue behind
- Convenient to use
- No caps to lose
- Smooth gel ink
- When subject to heat, the ink fades or disappears
2. Pilot G2 Premium Refillable and Retractable Rolling Ball Fine Point PensView at Amazon
If you’re concerned about ink fading from our top pick, then you may find the Pilot G2 Premium Refillable and Retractable Rolling Ball Fine Point Pens the best choice for office use. They have smooth-flowing gel ink just like the Pilot FriXion.
The comfortable grip on these Pilot G2 pens helps prevent writing fatigue. We have also found the ink lasts a long time before running out.
Customers are happy that the ink lasts long just as the brand promises. They find the pens ergonomic too.
- 0.7 mm point that creates fine lines
- Comfort grip keeps you writing with ease
- Refillable to limit waste
- Smooth writing experience
- Ergonomic grip
- Reliable ink flow
- The ink goes a long way
- Not erasable
3. BIC Round Stic Xtra Life Ballpoint Medium Point PenView at Amazon
Are you looking for a cheap ballpoint pen? We recommend the BIC Round Stic Xtra Life Ballpoint Pen because it’s designed to write reliably without the need for scribbling.
You can order the 60-count for under $15. They’ll last you several years at the office.
The BIC Round Stic Xtra Life Ballpoint Pens also write smoothly and have a comfortable round barrel. You can see how much ink is left in the pen because the barrel is translucent.
Customers who use these ballpoint pens for work love them. They glide on paper without ink flow problems and can be used for cursive handwriting.
- Tungsten carbide ball responsible for smooth, reliable ink flow
- 1.0 mm medium point creates vivid lines
- The flexible round barrel maintains comfort while writing for long hours
- Glides smoothly
- Reliable ink flow
- Suitable for cursive
- Comfortable to use for long hours
- If you have small handwriting, you may not like the writing experience
4. Pentel R.S.V.P. BK90 Fine Ballpoint PenView at Amazon
These fine-point ballpoint pens are great for those who have small handwriting. You can get a box of 12 for under $15. The pens are comfortable to hold even for people who have large hands.
You can keep track of how much ink is left through the transparent barrel. The pens have a Comfort Zone grip that helps prevent writing fatigue. You can also refill them once they run out of ink.
People love that these pens write smoothly and last a long time. They can write for long periods without hand cramps too.
- Comfort Zone grip protects against hand fatigue
- The transparent barrel shows you how much ink is left
- A long barrel that’s comfortable for both small and large hands
- 0.7 mm tip writes thin lines
- Refillable to get more use out of the pens
- Enjoyable writing experience
- You can see how much ink is left
- Comfortable to use for long periods
- Not erasable
5. Cross Classic Century Satin Chrome Ballpoint PenView at Amazon
If you don’t like cheap plastic ballpoint pens, we recommend the Cross Classic Century Satin Chrome Ballpoint Pen. It’s a nice ballpoint pen with a solid feel and design. The pen has a unique yet professional style suitable for office work.
Ink flow is smooth and consistent through a trademark conical tip for an enjoyable writing experience. This nice ballpoint pen is refillable too.
Some customers are unhappy that the brand changed the way it manufactures this pen.
They say this pen no longer has a solid feel but still writes the same. Other customers found the pen comfortable and enjoyable to use.
- Twist-action to open and close the pen
- Medium point works well for people with large handwriting
- Satin chrome for a shiny, professional design
- Beautiful design
- Suitable for professional environments
- Writes elegantly
- Comfortable to hold
- Some customers say it’s not as good as the old Classic Century
6. Fisher 400B Space Bullet Space PenView at Amazon
If you sometimes write at awkward angles, consider choosing the Fisher 400B Space Bullet Space Pen. It works at any angle and writes vivid lines. The pen looks short while closed, but it opens to a comfortable size. A benefit of the pen being short while closed is you can easily store it in your pocket.
Although you’re probably not writing in extreme temperatures in the office, the Fisher 400B Space Bullet Space Pen can write at -30 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can also write on wet surfaces and even underwater with this pen. This feature is helpful when you accidentally dribble water on your notes.
Many customers like that this pen is durable, easy to carry in their pocket, and comfortable to use.
- Zero gravity writing capability for smooth ink flow at all angles
- Extreme temperature resistance, so it’s not as likely to be damaged if you forget it inside the car
- Medium point for thicker lines
- Water-resistant to avoid smearing ink when the paper accidentally gets wet
- Resistant to extreme temperatures
- Small size when closed to comfortably fit in your pocket
- Doesn’t leak ink
- Can write at all angles
7. Pilot The Better Ballpoint PenView at Amazon
Featuring a ribbed grip, this ballpoint pen delivers a comfortable and controlled writing experience. It’s refillable, so you won’t need to buy new pens anytime soon. For less than $20, you can get a box of 12 pens.
This refillable ballpoint pen has a clear barrel to know with certainty when your pen is low on ink. It writes consistently and smoothly. The pen is retractable, so you don’t have to keep track of a cap.
Because the ink doesn’t smear easily, this is a good pen for left-handed users too.
Most customers describe these pens as comfortable to use and value for money. The ink flows smoothly and reliably. Some customers, however, said they got hand cramps after writing for long periods because of the narrowness of the barrel. If you have large hands, that might be something to take into consideration.
- 0.7 mm fine point that works well for small handwriting
- Tungsten carbide ball delivers consistent, smooth ink flow
- Stainless steel point doesn’t break easily
- Refillable to lessen the negative impact on the environment
- Clear barrel lets you monitor how much ink is left
- Controlled writing experience
- Non-slip grip
- Ink supply visible
- Some people thought it was too narrow for their comfort during long periods of writing
8. Pilot Dr. Grip Center of Gravity Ballpoint PenView at Amazon
Recommended by the Arthritis Foundation, we consider this the best office pen for those who have arthritis or get hand cramps easily. It features a balanced gripping axis and a wide double-layer comfort grip.
The pen is retractable, making it convenient for the office. It’s also refillable to last a long time.
Left-handed writers can use this pen too because it’s smear-resistant.
People who have hand problems confirm this pen is comfortable to use. Lefties also say that the ink doesn’t smear while they write. You can write fast without any problems. Ink flow is reliable and smooth.
- The wide double-layer comfort grip makes the pen comfortable to hold even for those who have arthritis
- Balanced gripping axis decreases writing stress
- Turbocharged ink increases the smoothness of writing
- Refillable to get more use out of the pen
- Helps prevent hand pain
- Comfortable to use
- Steady ink flow
- No problems with fast writing
- No cap to lose
- Smooth writing experience
- One pen costs around $10
9. Zebra Z-Grip Medium Point Ballpoint PenView at Amazon
This pack of 24 pens is one of your cheapest options for a quality 1 mm ballpoint pen for the office. A pack of 24 is under $15.
The pens write smoothly and have a soft rubberized grip that’s comfortable to hold. You can write a lot without getting hand cramps or experiencing problems with skipping.
Some ballpoint pens have faint ink, but the black ink in this pen is dark and bold. It’s easily visible and looks good on paper. The pens aren’t refillable as many options on this list are.
Customers love that these pens write smoothly and reliably. You can write fast with them when needed. The ink also dries fast. Critics find the line width too thin for what they expect from a 1 mm ballpoint pen.
- 1.0 mm ballpoint for thick lines
- Retractable for convenience
- Low-viscosity ink applies smoothly and freely to paper
- Latex-free rubberized grip is comfortable in your hand
- Excellent for light-handed writers
- Dries fast
- Steady ink flow
- Writes smoothly
- Comfortable to hold
10. uni-ball Jetstream Ballpoint PenView at Amazon
Do you fill out or sign important documents at work? We think the uni-ball Jetstream Ballpoint Pens are one of the best choices for you because their ink protects against document alteration fraud. The specially formulated ink doesn’t fade and is of archival quality.
It also dries fast, so left-handed writers can use the pen without smudging problems.
These pens produce crisp lines for easily legible writing. Ink flow is consistent, and you can write fast the uni-ball Jetstream Ballpoint Pen.
While being suitable for the office, they are stylish too.
Many customers are happy with the quality of these pens and use them for signing important documents. Some customers, however, said the ink flow wasn’t steady enough for them.
- uni Super Ink prevents document alteration fraud
- Embossed grip and stainless steel accents for a stylish design
- 1.0 mm bold point writes thick lines
- Protects against document and checks fraud
- The ink is of archival quality
- Crisp, vivid lines
- Fast-drying ink
- Suitable for lefties
- Unique, professional design
Making the Decision
With differing writing preferences, it’s difficult declaring which pens are the best office pens. We chose the Pilot FriXion Clicker Erasable Gel Pens because you can easily erase if you make mistakes while jotting notes.
If permanent ink is important for your needs at work, then you should choose a different type of pen on this list like the uni-ball Jetstream Ballpoint Pen or the Fisher 400B Space Bullet Space Pen.
For any important signatures and documents, always use a pen that protects against alteration fraud like the uni-ball Jetstream Ballpoint Pen.