Painted rocks make cool decorations on your desk or anywhere else you can think to place them.
We’ve reviewed the best paint pens for rocks that have high customer ratings, so you can create your own professional-looking painted rocks.
One of the items on the list (No. 2) may surprise you. Real people have used all of these paint pens on rocks, so you know for sure they actually work. Let’s dive right in to show you what your best options are in paint pens for rocks.
Best Paint Pens for Rocks:
1. Artistro Multi-Surface Extra Fine Paint Pens SetView at Amazon
Artistro paint pens are known for their quality. You can use these extra-fine point pens for detailing and intricate drawing on rocks. Ink laydown turns out opaque and glossy. We have found them to be some of the best acrylic paint pens for detailing and outlining. Gold, silver, white and black are included in the Artistro Multi-Surface Paint Pens Set.
Many customers are happy with the quality of these pens, describing the colors as rich. They find that coverage is good, and it’s easy to create detailed drawings. The pens are good for writing on the rocks as well.
- 12 colors to create a variety
- Non-toxic for your safety
- Odorless to prevent headaches and nausea
- Extra fine points for intricate lines
- Based on how much pressure you apply, lines vary from 0.5 to 0.8 mm
- Rich colors
- Good for writing and creating detailed drawings
- No odors
- Some customers had problems with the pens drying out
2. SAKURA Gelly Roll Moonlight 06 Gel Pens – Fine Point Ink Pen for Journaling, Art, or DrawingView at Amazon
Because these paint pens write well on dark surfaces, we consider them the best pens to paint rocks. Sakura makes gelly roll pens in many different styles. This moonlight set has luminous, opaque ink that’s capable of drawing on glossy surfaces.
Except for the fluorescent colors, these pens are of archival quality. Archival ink is resistant to fading and is intended to last for generations.
Customers say these paint pens show up well on both dark and light surfaces. The ink is Assorted Fluorescent as well for an enjoyable drawing experience.
- Archival quality ink that’s designed to last a long time
- Water-resistant ink to help prevent water damage to your designs
- 1.0 mm bold tip perfect for drawing with ease on rocks
- Beautiful vibrant colors
- Shows up well on dark and light backgrounds
- Excellent ink flow
- The ink goes a long way
- Ink is fade-resistant and water-resistant
- Fluorescent colors aren’t archival quality
3. Sharpie Oil-Based Medium Point Paint MarkersView at Amazon
You may be surprised to know that there are Sharpies for rock painting. Designed for use on difficult surfaces like stone, metal, and wood, these oil-based paint pens are some of the best rock painting pens — as you would expect from the Sharpie brand.
The colors in this classic assorted pack deliver opaque, glossy ink to your stones. If you like writing words on stones, then these paint markers work well for that purpose. They are also great for drawing and coloring on stones.
Customers praise these Sharpie paint pens for drying fast and delivering quality ink laydown on rocks and other challenging surfaces.
- A valve that releases ink fluidly for an easy drawing experience
- Non-toxic ink is safe to use
- The bold tip creates vivid lines on stone
- Classic colors that show up as opaque and glossy
- Excellent at writing, drawing, and coloring on rocks
- Visible on dark and light surfaces
- Ink flows smoothly and dries fast
- Limited color options
- You need to tap the tips with your finger before using them
4. Uni-Posca Extra Fine Paint Marker PensView at Amazon
When you need intricate details, we consider this paint marker pens the best markers for drawing on rocks. They have an extra fine point and quality ink application on stone surfaces. The ink is waterproof once it’s dry.
Black and white paint pens are included in this set if you have the need for these colors in your artwork.
These paint pens have a high number of positive reviews. Customers confirm they are excellent for drawing on stone even on rougher surfaces. The colors display vibrantly, and you can draw tiny details without frustration.
- Waterproof ink to prevent the running of the ink if the stones become wet
- The extra fine point that draws thin lines
- Non-toxic ink makes them safe for children
- Excellent for intricate drawing or adding small details
- Safe to come in contact with water
- Quality ink laydown
- Not for creating thick lines
5. Artistro Multi-Surface Medium Acrylic Paint Markers SetView at Amazon
Did you like the Artistro extra fine paint pens? You can buy the same type of pen in medium point too, which works better for coloring and creating thicker lines while drawing on rocks. All colors of the rainbow are included plus brown, white, black, silver, gold, and pink.
These rock markers are popular among arts and crafts consumers for fluid ink flow and high-quality ink application to various surfaces.
- Medium point for coloring and drawing thicker lines
- 12 unique colors to be creative in color schemes
- Non-toxic and odorless for your comfort
- Good for coloring and drawing on rocks
- Capable of more detailed drawings too
- Doesn’t have an odor
- For extremely thin drawings, a finer tip would be more suitable
6. Cedar Markers Liquid Chalk MarkersView at Amazon
These markers make good paint markers for stones that are non-porous. They have reversible tips, so you can alternate between a chisel and a bullet tip as needed. Tip-changing tweezers come with this paint pen set to prevent ink from getting on your fingers.
A lot of consumers enjoy drawing and writing with these paint pens. They say the colors are vibrant even on a black background.
- Reversible tip gives you more flexibility in your designs
- Non-toxic ink makes them safe for kids to use
- The durable cap protects the paint marker tips from damage
- Reversible bullet and chisel tip
- Vibrant colors are visible on dark backgrounds
- Not the best on porous surfaces
7. Beric Extra Fine Tip Paint PensView at Amazon
Do you want to display your painted rocks outside? The Beric Extra Fine Tip Paint Pens are resistant to sun and water. These markers for painting rocks are safe to use by all ages as well.
Many customers confirm these paint pens are ideal for detailed painting on rocks and have quality ink.
- Weather-resistant ink lets you display your painted rocks outside
- Extra fine tip for detailed work
- 12 colors in the pack for all of the basic colors you need
- Ink is resistant to weather damage
- Can paint fine details
- Safe for all ages
- You need to shake and prime the paint pen before use
8. Acrylico Multi-Surface Premium Extra Fine Paint PensView at Amazon
Four metallic colors come in this 16-pack. All of the colors in this stone acrylic paint pen set apply beautifully to stones. After sealing rocks painted with these paint pens, they will be waterproof.
Customers say these paint pens have steady ink flow as long as you shake them before use. The paint pens don’t have a strong chemical smell, and they are suitable for drawing fine details.
- 16 colors let you be creative in color schemes
- Waterproof after sealing to protect your designs from water
- Odor-free to prevent headaches and nausea
- Quality ink laydown
- Color variety
- Doesn’t have a strong smell
- Waterproof after being sealed or baked
- Need to be shaken before use
9. Niutop Acrylic Paint PensView at Amazon
Like the Sharpie Oil-Based Medium Point Paint Markers, these acrylic paint pens for rock painting use valve action technology to release ink smoothly and consistently. The ink is weather resistant and leaves behind a permanent design on your rocks.
People who like drawing intricate designs on rocks praise these pens for their precision and reliable, quality ink laydown.
- A valve that releases ink smoothly and consistently throughout the painting
- Extra fine point for detailed work
- Weather-resistant ink to paint stones intended for outdoor display
- Extremely fine lines for accurate drawing on stones
- Fluid ink flow
- Painted stones can be placed outside without their designs being ruined by the weather
- 24 unique colors in the set
- Needs to be shaken 20 times and primed before use
10. Zeyar Acrylic Extra Fine Paint PensView at Amazon
This paint pen set comes in 32 colors, including basic colors, pastels, and metallics. The downside is the ink isn’t permanent. You can scrape it off, and it’s not resistant to water.
These paint pens last customers a long time. Customers who use them for stone painting are pleased with the quality as well as how long the pens last.
- Valve action technology that maintains steady ink flow while drawing
- Non-toxic for safe painting
- An extra fine tip that’s suitable for detailed work
- Plenty of colors in the set
- Smooth, consistent ink flow during use
- Can be washed off if you want to change the design
- Not water-resistant
- Doesn’t work well on dark surfaces
Making the Decision
The Sakura Gelly Roll Moonlight Bold Pen Set is our top pick as the best paint pens for rocks because they show up well on any color surface. They’re also available in a wide range of fun colors besides the moonlight variety.
If the bold tip on these paint pens is too thick for your needs, choose the Uni-Posca Extra Fine Paint Marker Pens, Artisto Multi-Surface Extra Fine Paint Pens Set, or any other extra fine point pens from this list. They are capable of intricate drawings you may want to paint onto stones.