Colored pencil users would be lost without a way to properly sharpen their writing utensils. A properly sharpened pencil can make bold and precise lines that a worn-down tip simply cannot produce. This is why it is important to have a sharpener for your colored pencil collection.
We researched the sharpeners for colored pencils to find the best of the best. When analyzing these sharpeners, we looked at aspects like the sizes of pencils the sharpener will take, whether the sharpener can hold pencil shavings, size, and price.
The result is this list of the pencil sharpeners for colored pencils on the market today. By the end of this article, you will have all the necessary information to decide on which is the pencil sharpener for you.
Best Sharpeners for Colored Pencils:
1. JARLINK Electric Sharpener for Colored Pencils
One of the electric pencil sharpeners for colored pencils is the JARLINK pencil sharpener. This modern design looks stylish and you will never have to hand-sharpen your pencils again.
This sharpener is made of durable plastic that resists damage and has a non-slip pad on the bottom to prevent the sharpener from moving around when in use.
Users say that this is one of the pencil sharpeners for the price and that it is powerful without being too noisy.
For the price, you can use this durable pencil sharpener for all your colored pencils without the hassle of hand sharpening each one. This electric sharpener is a great investment for your office supply collection.
- The plastic receptacle holds a lot of pencil shavings and only needs to be emptied every once in a while.
- Auto-stop function prevents injury and stops when your pencil is perfectly sharpened.
- The company provides a lifetime guarantee if your sharpener becomes damaged or needs to be fixed.
- The hole on this sharpener cannot be adjusted for thicker pencils but will take most standard-sized colored pencils.
2. X-ACTO School Pro Classroom Electric Pencil Sharpener
Another quality pencil sharpener is the X-Acto electric sharpener. This quality sharpener works great in classrooms, offices, or homes!
Made of heavy-duty plastic, this sharpener holds up to regular wear and tear. The motor is quiet and does not draw electricity when it is not in use and the helical blade gives you a perfect point every time.
Customers who use this sharpener say that it is perfect for sharpening many pencils at a time and that it works perfectly for sharpening colored pencils. They especially appreciate the cup that catches a lot of pencil shavings before needing to be emptied.
This pencil sharpener is commercial quality and would be great for any environment where regular pencil sharpening is needed.
- This sharpener can be adjusted for colored pencils of various widths.
- The cutting system automatically stops when your pencil is sharpened to prevent damaging the wood or breaking the lead.
- This sharpener is a little on the expensive side.
3. Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencil Sharpener
This handheld sharpener is the pencil sharpener for Prismacolor colored pencils. The small, portable design makes it easy to carry around for sharpening your colored pencils on the go.
Because this sharpener is specifically designed for colored pencils, you can be sure that you will get a perfect point every time. This sharpener has two holes for selecting your point size: a wide point for fuller coverage or a finer point for more detailed work.
Frequent users of this sharpener say that it is incredibly durable and works perfectly for colored pencils. Many people say that they appreciate this sharpener has a cup for holding shavings to keep their work neat until they are ready to empty the shavings.
If you want a portable pencil sharpener that can give you different point sizes for your colored pencils, this sharpener by Prismacolor is perfect for you!
- Two different blades let you choose between a wide tip or a fine tip on your pencil.
- The plastic body is translucent so you can see when the sharpener needs to be emptied.
- At an affordable price, this sharpener is a great deal.
- Because this sharpener is made of plastic it is prone to scratching and possibly cracking.
4. PowerMe Electric Colored Pencils Sharpener
This battery-operated pencil sharpener is electric while still being fairly portable. Without needing a power source to plug into means that you can carry this sharpener around in your bag for quick and easy sharpening on the go.
This sharpener is made of durable plastic and sharpens up to 3,000 times in one battery life. You can mount this sharpener to a desk as well for classroom or office use. There are safety mechanisms in place that make it safe for children to use.
Customers appreciate how portable this sharpener is without sacrificing usability and durability. Even art teachers say that they have bought multiple of these sharpeners for their classrooms.
This is the perfect sharpener for people who want the ease of an electric sharpener and the portability of a handheld sharpener.
- Auto-jam release means your pencils will never get stuck in the sharpener and the blade ensures a perfect point every time.
- This sharpener comes with a 100% money-back guarantee for six months.
- Because this sharpener is battery-operated you may find yourself with dead batteries and no way to sharpen your pencils.
5. Staedtler 512 001 ST Double-hole Tub Pencil Sharpener
Another good pencil sharpener for colored pencils is Staedtler. This handheld sharpener is small enough to travel while keeping your pencil shavings neatly stored for later disposal.
This plastic portable sharpener has two holes for different-width pencils. The cap keeps the holes protected while in your bag and the attached cup catches your pencil shavings to keep your work neat.
People who use this sharpener say that it is easily portable and works great with colored pencils.
This portable handheld sharpener is durable and easy to use. It is perfect for sharpening pencils on the go.
- Different size holes let you sharpen a variety of pencils with different widths.
- The simple design is easy to carry around without taking up much space in your bag.
- This sharpener only gives a short point and does not sharpen pencils to a fine point.
6. STAEDTLER Colored Pencil Sharpener
Staedtler is known for making great office supplies. The simple design of this sharpener makes it easy to use and extremely portable.
This is a plastic sharpener with a blade attached to a screw-on lid. The pencil shavings are easily caught in the plastic cup for disposal. Because this small pencil sharpener is so simple it is small and easy to carry around.
People love the affordable price of this modest sharpener and say that this sharpener is well-built and works great for its simplicity.
For an easy-to-use sharpener that will always be there when you need it, Staedtler makes the portable handheld sharpener.
- The small design is easy to carry around and works quickly when you need it.
- This is an affordable sharpener.
- This sharpener does not allow for wider-sized pencils to be sharpened.
7. X-ACTO Ranger 1031 Wall Mount Manual Pencil Sharpener
The classic design of this commercial-grade pencil sharpener reminds us of sharpening pencils in primary school.
The dual helical blades sharpen pencils quickly and easily and the hand-crank mechanism means you don’t have to worry about a power source to sharpen your pencils. It can easily be mounted to a wall or desk to make it easy to use.
It works quickly and sharpens the lead evenly. Users say that this sharpener works great for sharpening a large number of pencils in one sitting.
If you are looking for a durable and fast sharpener with a bit of nostalgia mixed in, this device is just what you need.
- This sharpener can work with eight different pencil sizes and provides guides to keep the pencil steady as you sharpen.
- The steel design of this sharpener means that it will hold up well to frequent use without breaking.
- This sharpener is a great value for the money.
- There are no safety mechanisms in this sharpener and when the cover is removed the blades are exposed.
8. Uni KH-20 Hand Crank Colored Wooden Pencil Sharpener
Not least on our list of electric pencil sharpeners for colored pencils is the plastic hand-crank sharpener.
The compact design of this device and the fact that it does not require a power source make it a really good pencil sharpener. The face of the sharpener pops out to hold the pencil perfectly stead as you sharpen.
People are saying that this is a great sharpener for colored pencils and the device that holds the pencil steady makes for an even sharp point every time.
This sharpener combines the durability and precision of an electric sharpener without the use of a power source. If you want a sharpener that is portable and manual, this is the sharpener available.
- Because this sharpener requires no power source you can use it anywhere at any time.
- The device holds your pencil as it sharpens to a perfect point.
- You cannot adjust the hole size and can only sharpen standard-size pencils with this sharpener.
- This is a more expensive sharpener.
9. SMARTRO Electric Colored Pencil Sharpener
When researching the sharpener for colored pencils we came across this electric sharpener from Smartro.
This design comes with two holes to sharpen pencils with a variety of widths and can operate on battery power or through a USB cord. It comes with extra blades which can easily be replaced on this device.
People who use this sharpener say that it is compact and easily portable. They like that this electric sharpener is affordable and easy to maintain so it will last for years of use.
This compact design is easily portable and works efficiently. While it uses straight blades instead of helical blades, it does come with replacement blades so you can be sure that this device will last you a long time.
- The double hole lets you sharpen a variety of different-sized pencils.
- This sharpener can be operated on battery power or with an included USB cord.
- Be cautious of using the battery power with this device as you don’t want to run out of power just when you need it.
10. MarkGifts Electric Pencil Sharpener Heavy Duty Steel Blade
MarkGifts makes an electric pencil sharpener for commercial and home use. This is by far one of the pencil sharpeners for colored pencils.
This plastic sharpener can either be battery-operated or plugged into a wall with a USB cord. The clip-on lid catches pencil shavings and the device will not work if the lid is not attached as an added safety measure.
People who use this sharpener say that it works quickly with great results every time. They appreciate the safety features built into the device and love that it can be operated with batteries.
If you are looking for a durable electric pencil sharpener that can be plugged into a wall or carried around and operated with batteries then this is the perfect sharpener for you!
- The steel helical blade gives you a perfectly sharp point on your pencil every time.
- This sharpener is portable and can be used either with batteries or a USB plug.
- This sharpener only works with standard-width pencils.
Factors to Consider
When you are looking for a pencil sharpener for colored pencils there are many factors you want to take into consideration. Decide which of these factors is most important to you and choose a sharpener accordingly.
Electric vs. Manual
Would you prefer the control of a hand-crank or hand-held sharpener? Or do you think an electric model would be easier? The ease of electric sharpeners might be more appealing, but then you have to take into account whether you will have an available power source whenever you need it.
If you know how to sharpen colored pencils, you know that there are two different blade types to sharpen with. Sharpeners with single-length blades are generally easier to tote around but may need to be replaced often and can wear over time. A helical blade, on the other hand, is known to sharpen pencils faster and more evenly but is far less portable.
Plastic sharpeners are fairly durable but are still prone to cracking and breaking. Metal pencil sharpeners are much more durable, but most metal-cased sharpeners are manual and not entirely portable.
Prices range between a few dollars and around $40. Consider if you intend to use this sharpener for personal or commercial use. You may be able to find a more affordable handheld sharpener though there are some electric sharpeners on this list that you can get for under $20.
When you take these factors into account and prioritize which ones you prefer over others, you will be able to pick the sharpener available on our list of colored pencil sharpener reviews. Whether you are looking for a personal and portable sharpener or you want something that will get plenty of use, there is something on our list that will work for you!
Making The Decision
Shopping for a sharpener for colored pencils can seem like an overwhelming task. It seems like it should be simple, but colored pencils require a more durable blade for sharpening and other factors like the ones listed above can make the decision difficult.
Fortunately, this list of the top ten sharpeners offers a variety of styles and models to choose from for your sharpening needs. Whether you need a portable sharpener to keep in a backpack or you want something more commercial: the electric pencil sharpener for a classroom or office setting, this list has something for everyone.
Decide which factors are most important to you and choose accordingly. There may even be more than one sharpener on your list that will help you out! Try getting one for your desk and one for traveling around as well!