Are you looking for the perfect utensil for coloring in your adult coloring books or a professional artist wanting to broaden your stationery collection?
The versatility of brush tip markers is hard to beat. With the combination of even ink flow from a marker and the smooth brushstrokes of a paintbrush, the possibilities are endless.
We sought to find the best brush markers on the market today. By analyzing each marker for its pigment, whether it was water or alcohol-based, durability, popularity, and cost, we came up with this list of the best brush pens for beginners and professionals.
Best Brush Markers:
1. Crayola 58-6501 Brush & Detail Dual-Tip MarkersView at Amazon
With a well-known brand like Crayola, you know you are getting quality. This set of sixteen markers with 32 colors is some of the best art markers for coloring. This set of markers comes in a decorative tin which makes storing them easy and organized.
Many people prefer this set for a range of colors at an affordable price. Some appreciate that the tips of these markers are firmer than other brush tips.
Crayola makes a great starter kit for people wanting to experiment with brush-tip pens.
- These markers come in a convenient and durable decorative tin which makes them the perfect gift for any artist or creative person in your family.
- For 16 different colors, this set is affordable.
- The ink in these markers tends to feather on certain paper and may not work well for calligraphy.
2. Prismacolor Premier Double-Ended Art MarkersView at Amazon
If you plan to draw with your brush tip markers, Prismacolor has the best markers for drawing. These dual-tipped markers have a single source of ink so both tips will have even consistency throughout your work. With 12 colors to choose from you will be creating and coloring vivid works of art for hours.
This set gets high ratings amongst its regular users. People love the color combinations and the durability of these brush pens.
A well-known brand like Prismacolor is sure to deliver the best quality and this pen set is proof of that.
- The dual tip and bold colors of this pen set make drawing and coloring easy and fun.
- Because this ink is alcohol based these markers can dry out easily if not properly stored.
3. Tombow Pen Dual Brush Markers, PastelView at Amazon
While many of the markers on this list offer bold colors, these Tombow pastel pens offer a softer option.
Tombow is known for making some of the best markers for artists and this dual-tipped set is a favorite among professionals and beginners alike. People love this marker set for its unique color combinations and odorless water-based ink.
If you are looking for a pastel option to balance out other, bolder colors in your collection this set is just right for you.
- Nine unique pastel colors and one blender pen give you countless options for coloring and drawing.
- The tips of these markers are prone to fraying with consistent use.
4. Copic Marker SB12 12-Piece Sketch Basic SetView at Amazon
Copic, by far, offers the best alcohol-based markers for professional artists and calligraphy writers. This set includes 12 quick-drying and non-toxic markers that dry permanently and are acid-free. The sturdy plastic case keeps your markers organized and makes this set a great gift idea.
Frequent users say that these brush markers write smoothly and blend easily. They say that the colors are bold and bright.
Copic makes quality brush pens and this kit is a great gift for any creative person in your life.
- The clear plastic case that comes with this set makes storage simple.
- Each marker is refillable and the nibs are replaceable so you can use these markers for a long time.
- This set is on the more expensive side
5. Ohuhu Art Markers Dual TipsView at Amazon
When looking for the best paint markers, consider this 60-color, dual-tipped set by Ohuhu. You get 60 unique colors, each with dual tips, in this brush tip pen set. The water-based ink dries quickly and allows for seamless blending between colors.
Many appreciate this brush pen set for its value and say that the brush tips work great for the price.
Copic gives you plenty of colors for your money and this kit is great for beginners.
- This set comes with three replacement brush tips as well as two fine-line replacement tips.
- The colorful and durable cylindrical case makes this brush pen set a perfect gift.
- The tips of these markers can fray easily with firm use though this kit does come with replacement tips.
6. Tanmit Dual Tip Brush Marker Pens Fine Brush Highlighter Pen SetView at Amazon
Tanmit is a well-known brand that makes some of the best art markers for professionals. This set of 36 different colored brush pens is a great deal.
These dual-tipped markers come in 36 different colors of quality water-based ink. The nylon tip works just like a paintbrush and the fine lines are great for writing or small details.
People who use these pens love the watercolor-like feel of blending and painting with the brush tips. If you are just beginning to brush calligraphy or want a variety of colors for your adult coloring book, this kit is just what you need.
- Dozens of unique colors forex
- The plastic carrying case allows you to keep your markers organized and in one place.
- The color on the caps is not always true to the ink color so do a test before committing to paper.
7. Sharpie 1810704 Permanent Markers, Brush TipView at Amazon
Sharpie is one of the most trusted brands of markers on the market today and these brush-tip markers are some of the best adult coloring markers.
These permanent markers come in black, blue, turquoise, green, yellow, orange, red, lime, purple, berry, magenta, and brown. The alcohol-based ink will dry fast on almost any surface and remain permanent.
Users appreciate the Sharpie brand with a brush tip to practice brush calligraphy.
Sharpie is a trusted brand and will give you bold quality brush strokes with these vibrantly colored pens.
- For an affordable price, you can have this quality set of 12 different colored markers.
- This brush pen set does not come with its own carrying case.
8. Aen Art Dual Tip Calligraphy Brush Marker PensView at Amazon
Aen Art offers a great value on the best markers for coloring books. The nylon brushes of these markers are flexible and durable and the wide variety of colors gives you endless possibilities.
People who use this marker set love the variety and value. They say this is a great starter kit for anyone looking to color or practice brush calligraphy.
If you are just starting with coloring or calligraphy, this set of affordable markers offers a wide variety of colors.
- The odorless water-based markers are non-toxic and acid-free which makes them safe to use for all ages.
- This set is a great deal for someone looking for variety.
- These markers have been known to bleed and feather on certain paper.
9. Masterclass Premium Dual Tip Brush MarkersView at Amazon
If you’re simply looking for good cheap markers for drawing, Masterclass offers a quality set of markers at an affordable price.
You get 24 vibrant water-based ink colors in this set and the dual tip gives you the versatility of bold strokes as well as fine lines. People love the value of these markers and say that they are a great set to give as a gift or keep for yourself.
This is a great pen set if you are looking for a variety of colors that won’t break the bank!
- This set comes with a 100% money-back guarantee in the event that you are not completely satisfied with them.
- The ink in these markers has a tendency to bleed on certain types of paper.
10. ArtWerk 15 Pack Dual Tipped Colored Brush Pen Marker SetView at Amazon
ArtWerk makes some of the best brush pens at an affordable price. This pack of dual-tipped brush pens allows you to create bold and fine lines alike.
This set comes with fourteen unique colors as well as one blender brush pen to give your art a vivid look. The flexible paintbrush-style tips are made out of nylon fiber which will hold up to many uses.
Frequent users of these brush tip markers love the variety of colors as well as the dual tips for coloring larger areas as well as finer details.
For an affordable set of brush markers to start your marker coloring adventures, ArtWerk has just the kit.
- Non-toxic, water-based ink is perfect for people of all ages.
- This marker set comes with a money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with it.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Brush Markers
The primary difference when looking for brush pens is whether the ink is alcohol-based or water-based. This simply means that the pigment of the ink is either suspended in alcohol or water. There are benefits and shortcomings to both of these so let’s dive deeper.
Alcohol-Based Brush Tip Markers
Alcohol-based markers, like this Copic set, are usually more expensive as an initial investment. The benefit of these types of markers is that they are, more often than not, refillable and the nibs are replaceable.
Alcohol markers are better for blending between colors since the alcohol does not soak into the paper like water-based markers tend to do. This also helps to eliminate feathering or bleeding on your paper.
Finally, the alcohol evaporates quicker than water which means that these markers will dry on the page faster than water-based markers.
Water-Based Brush Tip Markers
Water-based markers are usually less expensive and disposable. Because they don’t have the fumes of an alcohol-based marker they are more suitable for children to use.
Another benefit of water-based artist markers is that they are often easily washable and can also blend in a fashion similar to watercolor painting.
One downside of water-based ink is that it soaks into the porous paper which can both distort the image you are working on and even damage the paper itself.
Other Factors to Consider
Aside from the difference between alcohol-based and water-based brush tip pens, there are a few other things you should consider when looking for watercolor pens.
Some of the sets in our list come with organizational carrying cases while some, like the Sharpie brush tip set, only come with the markers.
You also want to take cost into account and perhaps even break the cost down into a “per marker” cost to find out which set is the best deal for your price range.
Making The Decision
Depending on your personal preferences, there are several options to choose from on this list of the best brush markers. Take into consideration whether you want water or alcohol-based markers before deciding on which brand to choose from.
Personally, my favorite picks are the Copic basic sketch set for a top-of-the-line artistic experience. You only get 12 pens in this brush pen set but the quality is unmatched for alcohol-based brush markers.
If you are looking for more variety in color or a better deal, the Crayola 16-piece set is a water-based set of markers in a variety of colors. This set is also dual-tipped so you can work with bold or fine lines.
Whatever you choose, be sure to have fun with your craft!