Because canvas has a rough texture, not all markers will work well. Paint markers are a good choice for drawing and writing on canvas.
We’ve reviewed the markers for canvas based on paint flow, quality of the paint, and ease of use. After trying out different types of markers, we have an idea of what works best for different purposes.
You want to use high-quality markers so that your designs look professional and have a frustration-free experience. Continue reading to learn about what the markers for Canvas are.
Best Paint Markers for Canvas:
1. Artistro Extra Fine Tip Acrylic Markers
These acrylic markers have sturdy extra fine tips and consistent flow. They’re great to have on hand for the finer details in your artwork. The markers have an opaque finish and are non-toxic. They also dry fast.
White, black, silver, gold, brown, and pink are included in this 12-pack of paint markers as well as the standard colors you’d expect. These markers show up vividly on light and dark surfaces.
You can use them on a wide variety of surfaces besides canvas, including fabric, rocks, stones, plastic, polymer clay, metals, card stock, treated smooth wood, and terracotta. Your finished art becomes waterproof after sealing or baking it, depending on which is appropriate for your medium.
[su_quote]Consumers say the ink is easy to get flowing with these paint markers. They also love that the colors are vibrant. You need to keep a light hand when using the paint markers to avoid damaging the tips, so they might not be the best for heavy-handed users.
All artists need markers that can draw fine lines. We consider this pack of Artistro markers the paint markers for canvas when you need to draw in the details. The paint flows reliably for an enjoyable drawing experience.
- Extra fine tips that are suitable for detailed portions of your art
- Non-toxic to protect your health while you use them
- Non-odor for a more relaxing time painting
- NON-TOXIC, NO ODOR: Artistro Acrylic paint markers conform to ASTM D-4236. and EN-71 safety standards Please keep from direct contact with food.
- COLORS INCLUDED: Black, white, yellow, blue, green, red, pink, gold, silver, brown, orange, and violet paint pens.
- Consistent paint flow
- Easy to use
- Perfect for drawing fine lines
- Can be used on a wide variety of surfaces
- Has gold, silver, brown, and pink in addition to the standard colors you expect
- Safe for children
- Becomes waterproof after sealing
- Looks good on light and dark surfaces
- Tips become damaged if you regularly press too hard
- Not the best for blending because the paint dries fast
2. Uni Posca Medium Point Paint Markers
Because a box of these paint markers costs over $30, you’ll want to save them for finished pieces. The paint is permanent on canvas but can be scratched off of non-porous surfaces like glass. It has an opaque finish, and the colors stay vibrant after the paint dries.
You can use these paint markers on photos, wood, metal, and plastic in addition to canvas and glass. They’re also non-toxic and waterproof. Once the paint has dried, you can draw over it with another Uni Posca Paint Marker. As medium point markers, they can be used for coloring and drawing details.
This 15-set includes all colors of the rainbow, black, white, brown, golden yellow, pink, and a few other colors.
Customers have successfully used these paint markers to create beautiful designs on canvas shoes. They also have positive results using these Uni Posca paint pens on canvas paper. The paint dries fast and appears vibrant.
The Uni Posca Medium Point Paint Markers are the paint pens for canvas as a professional artist or creative. You can also use them as a hobby.
- The set includes white, light blue, Gray, brown, orange, peach, light orange, Yellow, pale green, purple, blue, green, pink, red, and black.
- Unlike alcohol-based marker ink, The ink does not bleed.
- Permanent paint for long-lasting artwork
- Non-toxic to protect yourself from toxic fumes
- Waterproof to increase the longevity of your designs
- Medium point that works well for coloring and details
- Doesn’t bleed
- Can be drawn over with another Uni Posca paint marker once dry
- Dries fast and evenly
- Looks good on light and dark surfaces
- Has all colors of the rainbow as well as black, white, brown, pink, and golden yellow
- Permanent on canvas and other porous surfaces
- Can be used on other surfaces besides canvas
- No silver or gold
3. Jr. White Acrylic Paint Marker Pens
This 12-marker set comes with all of the standard colors you need as well as black, white, gold, silver, pink, and marigold. There isn’t a brown in this set, so you’ll want to choose another pack on this list if you need brown.
The Jr. White Acrylic Paint Marker Pens are non-toxic and provide reliable paint flow. After your canvas painting has sit for 24 hours, it will be permanent. These paint markers are suitable for use on canvas shoes too.
Other surfaces they work on are rock, stone, wood, plastic, glass, ceramic mugs, and leather. The paint is easy to wash off of your hands and other surfaces with soap and water as long as you clean up within a few hours of using the markers.
People who have used these paint markers on canvas confirm they give good coverage and have reliable ink flow. The markers last long and work well on other surfaces.
The Jr. White Acrylic Paint Marker Pens are good markers for canvas coloring because they provide smooth coverage. You’ll have almost every basic color you need except for brown in the pack.
- Paint pen set of 12 assorted colors: Red, Pink, Marigold, Yellow, Orange, Blue, Green, Purple, Black, White, and metallic colors Gold and silver.
- Medium tip for good coverage and detailed lines
- Non-toxic to prevent breathing in toxic fumes
- Permanent for long-lasting paintings and designs
- Good coverage when coloring
- Can draw thin lines
- Permanent on porous surfaces after sitting for 24 hours
- Suitable for children
- No brown in the pack
4. Dyvicl Metallic Medium Point Paint Markers
Do you like colors with a metallic finish? This set of markers has 15 metallic colors, including red, yellow, orange, light green, dark green, light blue, dark blue, purple, white, and bronze. It also has gold and silver as you’d expect from a metallic pack.
These markers are designed to look vibrant on black backgrounds, so you can use them on black canvas and other dark surfaces. They still apply beautifully to light surfaces too. You can use these paint markers on numerous surfaces, including canvas, cardstock, rock, glass, wood, metal, plastic, and ceramic.
People who have used these paint markers for canvas say they work well. They’re easy to use and show up vibrantly with a metallic sheen.
These are some of the markers to use on canvas when you need a metallic sheen to your colors.
- Sunproof prevents fading of any of your artwork that gets exposed to the sun
- Waterproof to preserve your canvas shoe designs when it rains
- Non-toxic paint that’s safe to use
- Non-odor for a comfortable experience while drawing
- Permanent paint lasts a long time on porous surfaces
- Medium point makes it easy to color and draw
- Resistant to sun and water damage
- Long-lasting on porous media
- Good for coloring and drawing
- Works well on light and dark backgrounds
- Shiny metallic finish
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t smell bad
- Doesn’t dry as fast as other options
5. Tulip Fine Tip Fabric Markers
If you’re looking for canvas markers for shoes and fabric, we recommend the Tulip Fine Tip Fabric Markers. They are designed to not snag. The colors also apply smoothly and evenly. They dry fast and stay vibrant for a long time.
These markers have fine tips, so they’re good for intricate details. You don’t need to use heat to set the paint. Any fabrics you draw on will still be safe to throw in the washing machine once the paint is dry. These fabric paint markers work best on light-colored backgrounds. 20 ultra-bright colors come in the pack. Black and brown are also included but not white.
Customers are happy with the quality results they got using these paint markers to design canvas bags and shoes.
The Tulip Fine Tip Fabric Markers are great for drawing colorful designs on canvas bags and shoes. If you’re working with a dark background, however, you may find another option on this list more suitable.
- Pack includes 20 fine writer bullet-tip fabric markers in a rainbow of ultra-bright colors
- Non-toxic paint that doesn’t emit toxic fumes
- Premium quality inks resist fading – even after multiple machine washes
- Find inspiration and techniques at ilovetocreate.com
- Permanent for long-lasting designs
- Fine point tips that are suitable for drawing intricate details
- Ultra bright
- Dries fast
- Suitable for use on canvas shoes and bags
- Doesn’t work as well on dark backgrounds
6. Acrylico Extra Fine Paint Markers
This set of paint markers has four metallic and 12 opaque colors. The metallic colors are gold, silver, metallic violet, and metallic blue. All colors of the rainbow plus black, white, brown, and pink are included in this 16-pack of paint markers.
The Acrylico Extra Fine Paint Markers work on a variety of surfaces, including canvas, leather, glass, rock, wood, ceramic, metal, and plastic.
People who have used these paint pens for canvas say they like that they’re not as messy as using paintbrushes. The paint pens lay down paint well, resulting in professional-looking designs and an enjoyable drawing experience.
Consider these fine-point pens if you need them for drawing small or detailed designs. Their extra fine point draws thin lines, and the ink flows smoothly for a seamless experience. You’ll have all of the basic colors you need except for gray.
- Water-resistant paint helps protect your designs on canvas fabric when it rains
- Non-odor to prevent discomfort and headaches while using the markers
- Non-toxic makes them safe to use
- Paint Marker Colors: Black, Brown, White, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Pastel Blue, Blue, Violet, Pink, Light Green, Metallic Violet, Metallic Blue, Gold, and Silver.
- Dries quickly
- Can be used on canvas bags and shoes
- Thin lines
- Good for detailed designs
- Work on a variety of surfaces
- Slow to fill in large spaces when coloring
7. Dyvicl Acrylic Paint Pens
These medium-point paint markers provide great coverage and a reliable flow of paint. 12 colors come in the pack, including black, white, gold, silver, and all colors of the rainbow.
You can use them on canvas, fabric, pumpkins, rocks, wood, glass, ceramic, plastic, and greeting cards. The paint becomes permanent on non-porous surfaces after baking. For your canvas artwork, however, you’ll need to seal it.
People who’ve used these paint pens on canvas say the paint dries fast and applies smoothly. The paint markers also work well on black canvas.
The Dyvicl Acrylic Paint Pens are one of your options for black canvas. They also provide a vivid, smooth color application to light surfaces.
- Non-toxic to protect your health
- The medium point that makes coloring easy and allows for detailed drawing
- Non-odor to avoid unpleasant smells while using the markers
- Color: Purple, Rose Pink, Blue, Emerald Green, Lightning Yellow, Orange, Marigold, Deep Scarlet, Metallic Gold, Metallic Silver, White, Black
- Easy to paint with and has no smell, no mess, no smudge, and doesn’t bleed.
- Shows up well on black canvas
- The silver and gold are metallic
- Doesn’t smell
- Safe to use
- Good for coloring and drawing details
- No brown
8. Aroic Oil-Based Paint Pens
Some oil-based pens have toxic ink, but these paint pens are non-toxic. They’re waterproof and weather-resistant, so you can use them to personalize canvas bags and shoes. Other surfaces these Aroic paint pens work on are glass, plastic, wood, rock, metal, and ceramic.
16 paint markers come in the pack. It has all colors of the rainbow, brown, black, white, gold, and silver. The Aroic Oil-Based Paint Pens come with an e-book on stone painting – a nice extra if you’re also interested in drawing on stones.
Customers love that these pens are good for coloring, hand lettering, and drawing. The paint flows smoothly and provides good coverage.
The Aroic Oil-Based Paint Pens are great for painting on canvas because the pigments are easy to blend. You can safely use them to personalize canvas shoes and bags. We wouldn’t recommend choosing these pens for young children since they spill out paint when you press too hard.
- Oil-based paint that’s easy to blend
- Waterproof for preventing smudging of your designs if they become exposed to water
- Weatherproof to keep your canvas bag and shoe designs in good condition
- Included e-book to learn stone painting techniques
- Non-toxic for protecting your health
- Rich colors
- Good coverage
- Easy to blend
- Can be used on canvas shoes and bags
- Has all the basic colors you need
- Can be used on many different surfaces
- Makes a mess if you press too hard
9. Tooli-Art Premium Quality Acrylic Paint Pens
These paint markers provide good coverage for extra fine point markers. The paint dries quickly and stays vibrant for a long time. It looks great on light and dark surfaces.
The tips on these paint markers have valve-action tips, which prevent them from becoming frayed. 18 colors come in the pack, giving you more options than the previous items on this list. An e-book on rock painting comes with your purchase.
Consumers say these extra fine point markers work well for touch-ups in canvas paintings. They don’t need to apply a lot of paint to get good coverage while drawing.
The Tooli-Art Premium Quality Acrylic Paint Pens provide smooth, reliable paint flow and cover the surface well when you’re filling in areas with color. Because the tips are designed to not fray, heavy-handed artists may find these the best choice.
- An extra fine tip that’s great for drawing details
- Valve-action tip that prevents fraying
- Non-toxic to protect your health from harmful fumes
- Included e-book to learn rock painting techniques
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- Steady paint flow
- Good coverage
- Suitable for drawing tiny details
- Vibrant on light and dark surfaces
- Durable tips
- Not the best for coloring large areas
Factors to Consider
Your choices in tip sizes are extra fine, fine, medium, and broad. Extra fine produces the thinnest lines, and broad writes the thickest lines.
What tip size you need depends on how large your drawings will be. If you’re coloring large spaces on canvas, then the medium and broad points would be your best choices.
Keep a pack of extra fine or fine paint markers on hand for adding accents, detailing, and drawing finer lines. You’ll have more control over the marker, so your intricate drawings will turn out better.
Type of Tip
Tip sizes for paint markers are bullet, chisel, and brush. Drawing and writing on canvas are easiest to do with a bullet tip. A bullet tip is a rounded top that writes lines of a consistent thickness. Most paint markers have bullet tips, including those we listed above.
Brush tip markers are suitable for calligraphy writing because they adjust the thickness of your line based on how hard you press. Some artists enjoy drawing with them too, but it takes practice to master.
Chisel tips are like an in-between type of tip. They are slanted to give you the ability to draw thick and thin lines depending on which angle you hold the markers.
Type of Paint
Paint markers have water-based, acrylic, or oil-based paint. Water-based paint tends to dry the fastest and doesn’t have strong odors. They wash off easily too.
Acrylic is a type of water-based ink that becomes permanent when it’s dry. Like other water-based paints, acrylic is easy to wash off and doesn’t emit a lot of toxic fumes.
Oil-based paint markers take the longest to dry, but the upside is they’re easy to blend. Another benefit of this type of paint marker is the dried paint tends to be more durable.
Oil-based paint can be difficult to wash off, so you may want to go with water-based if you’re buying paint markers for young children.
Can you use markers on canvas?
Not all markers are suitable for use on canvas. Some markers will have problems with skipping as you attempt to draw on this rougher surface. Check that the markers are suitable for canvas before buying them.
How do you keep your paint markers in good condition?
Store your paint markers horizontally, and correctly prime them before attempting to use them. The manufacturer usually includes instructions on how to prime them. Always remember to put the cap back on your paint marker to prevent it from drying out.
If you want to clean the tips off after using them, use a paper towel. You don’t want to use water on a marker tip that isn’t watercolor-based.
How do you use paint markers?
You’ll need to shake the marker in all directions for 2‒3 minutes, then press it down on a scrap sheet of paper. Don’t be alarmed if the tip goes inside the marker as this is supposed to happen with most brands. Wait a few seconds for the paint to flow to the tip, and press it down another time.
You should repeat the process of waiting a few seconds and pressing it down until you can draw a line of paint. If the paint is skippy, you need to press down on the tip again and wait several seconds.
It’s important to be patient and not repeatedly press the tip down, or you’ll damage the markers. A lot of paint may flood out if you do that as well.
Making the Decision
Our top choice, the Artistro Extra Fine Tip Acrylic Markers, meets the needs of most people. They are easy to prime, fun to use, and fast to dry. You can trust the markers to have a steady flow of paint while you focus on drawing your designs. They can be used on light and dark surfaces as well as canvas fabric.
If you need medium-point pens, then we’d say the markers for canvas are the Uni Posca Medium Point Paint Markers. They’re waterproof, non-toxic, and known for being of excellent quality.