If you want the control of a ballpoint pen with vibrant and various colors of paint then look no further than gel pens. Of course, not all pens are created equal, and various aspects make certain pens better than others.
We researched and analyzed the pens on the market for the quality of ink, tip size, durability of the casing, and general design and style of pens to find the best gel pens on the market today. This list is sure to help you make a conscious and confident decision about which is the best pen for you.
Best Gel Pens:
1. Aen Art Glitter Gel Pens
The smooth writing and pigmented ink of this set make it among the best glitter pens for bullet journaling, crafting, or writing letters. With 100 colors to choose from, the only decision you will have to make is which color to use next.
This pack features 100 different colored glitter pens with a medium-fine tip and comfortable grips for ease of use. From neon colors to more neutral tones, there is a color to fit your every need.
Frequent users of this set boast smooth application and even, consistent coverage. Many agree these are the top gel pens for adult coloring books and often people have boasted about buying a second set after running out of their first set.
The vast array of colors makes this a perfect set for adult coloring books, elaborate drawings or doodles, or even a very colorful handwritten letter. If you are a fan of glitter, this set is just right for you!
- The variety in this pack allows for virtually any color you may be looking to write with.
- The rubberized grip means that long-term use of the pens will not diminish comfort.
- The glitter will give your coloring or handwriting an added flair.
- The pen caps may not always exactly represent the color of the ink.
- If you are looking for larger coloring projects take into account that the ink may run out rather quickly.
2. Tanmit Gel Pens Set Colored Pen Fine Point Art Marker
This Tanmit set offers a variety of premium, top-quality pens with five different types of gel ink to write with. The smooth writing gel ink avoids skipping, smearing, or bleeding through and is perfect for coloring.
These clear pens allow you to see the ink color and come in a variety of ink styles including metallic, neon, glitter, and pastel, as well as standard classic colors.
You’ll be making excuses to write letters and buy more adult coloring books just to look for a reason to use these pens. Previous buyers have boasted of buying multiple sets of these pens to share with friends and family.
With the variety of colors and ink styles, these pens are sure to be a favorite in your collection.
- This pack delivers some of the best metallic pens on the market as well as a variety of other ink styles.
- If you try out the pens and end up not liking them, the pack comes with a money-back guarantee
- There are no refills offered for these pens so you will have to re-order a new set when they run out.
- If you write firmly, these pens are known to leak through to the other side of the page so if you are looking to write double-sided you want to consider that.
3. Kaco Retractable Gel Pens, 20 Assorted Colors
The modern design of this 20-pack and its variety of colors easily make it the best retractable gel ink pen you can buy today. KACO leads the market in style and design with this affordable set of pens.
Aside from the minimal and modern design, these pens have a soft grip for a comfortable writing experience. The fine point makes them great for journaling, taking notes, or writing letters.
The colors are gorgeous and the roller-ball glides across the page with ease. Be warned that the white-colored pen has brownish-colored ink and there is no actual white pen to write within this set.
A fine-point retractable pen with a modern style, this set is perfect for a bullet journalist or someone looking to make colorful notes and letters.
- The quick use of the retractable pens makes these the top pens for bullet journaling.
- The ink does not bleed through paper so you can write double-sided if you choose.
- These pens are known to run out of ink quickly.
- If not used frequently the pens may dry out after some time and no longer be useable.
4. Aen Art Colored Gel Pen, Fine Point Gel Markers
This variety set includes glitter, neon, and pastel colors with varying tip thicknesses depending on the color. It is perfect for scrapbooking, and adult coloring books, and is the best pen for students taking notes.
With a comfortable grip and a great variety of colors, these pens will keep you writing and coloring for hours. Aen Art has fast-drying ink and smooth ink flow for skip and smudge-free writing and coloring.
Previous buyers of this set say it is well worth the price. The fast-drying ink is one of the most popular features as most pens take a while to dry. The variety of glitter, pastel, and neon allows you to use these pens for a variety of crafty tasks or colorful note-taking.
With great variety at such an affordable price, these are definitely among the best pens available today.
- This set of 24 bright neon colors is pretty affordable.
- These pens boast 40% more ink than most pens so you can count on them to last longer.
- The tip sizes vary in this set with the glitter pens having a 1mm tip and the neon and pastel pens having a 0.8mm tip so there will be a small inconsistency in thickness.
5. Sakura Gelly Roll Moonlight Pen Set
Sakura was the first company to introduce gel pens into the American market in the late 1980s and the Gelly Roll pens are still one of the best-selling today. They are the top pens for art and scrapbooking as they easily write on both black and white paper.
These pens come in fine, medium, and thick tips and you can choose between neon, pastel, black, glitter, or even clear glitter ink colors. The premium roller-ball reduces ink skipping which happens with lesser quality.
These pens have been in the market for 30 years and even professional illustrators boost the quality of the Sakura Gelly Roll brand. Many owners of these pens love the fact that these gel ink pens can write on both light paper as well as dark paper.
This tried and trusted brand had been around for decades for a reason. Sakura Gelly Roll pens are the best for art and well worth the price!
- These pens have been in the industry for decades for a reason. The quality of these pens makes them among the best gel ink pens available.
- The variety of packs you can buy from the Gelly Roll brand is seemingly endless.
- There is no comfortable grip on these pens so long-term writing or coloring may become uncomfortable.
6. Tanmit Gel Pens Set, 120 Colored Gel Pen
Two of each color, make for the best pen set for coloring. If you are into doodling or adult coloring books, these pens are sure to keep you busy for hours.
These clear-body pens allow you to see the color of the ink to know exactly which color you will be writing with. The packs contain glitter, metallic, neon, pastel, fluorescent, and rainbow colors to provide you with colors for any craft you are working on.
People who use these pens say that they are an excellent value for what you get. Because the pens come with duplicates of each color these pens are perfect for coloring since they will last a long time.
With over a hundred colors to choose from this set is perfect for doodling and adult coloring books and is a great value for what you are getting.
- The pack comes with 120 different colors and duplicates of each color so you will not run out of ink any time soon.
- These pens come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- Because there are so many pens in this set it is a little pricier.
7. BIC Gel-Ocity Quick Dry Gel Pens
Bic is a well-known brand for a variety of pens and can be considered the best brand of pens. The super-smooth and quick-drying ink make this pen perfect for journaling and note-taking.
The entire barrel of the pen has a rubberized grip which makes it comfortable to hold this pen for hours of writing. The medium point and smooth ink flow make these the best pens for notes.
Frequent users of the Bic Gel-ocity pens say they are by far the best pens on the market and would easily purchase them again. Left-handed users are pleased with the quick-drying ink which leads to far less smudging for lefties.
This worldwide and well-known brand is a great deal and is the best pen on the market for note-taking students and writers.
- The ink in these pens dries three times faster than most pens which makes it less prone to smearing.
- The retractable click makes them easy to carry around anywhere for quick and easy note-taking.
- The pocket clip on the pen is said to break easily.
- The ink may run out faster than other brands.
8. PILOT G2 Premium Refillable & Retractable Rolling Ball Gel Pens
Another well-known brand of pen is Pilot and the G2 gel ink pen is one of the best gel pens for writing. This pen has been proven to be the longest writing pen over every other top brand of gel ink pen.
This pen features a bold tip and comfortable grip which makes it great for writing for long periods. The translucent barrel allows you to see how much ink is left in the pen. The smooth writing ink makes this among the best bold gel pens.
People who use this pen boast that this is the best pen on the market. The smooth, bold ink makes writing comfortable and easy and the fact that the pen is retractable makes this pen easy to carry around.
Although this is one of the pricier gel ink pens on the market, it is superior to others in many ways and is by far the best pen for writing.
- A clear barrel allows you to see how much ink is left so you know when to order refills.
- Long-lasting and smooth writing ink allows for hours of uninterrupted writing.
- This is a pricy pen.
- The pen is known to leave blobs of ink on the page occasionally and may leak if not cared for properly.
9. Shuttle Art 120 Unique Colors Gel Pens Gel Pen Set
This package includes the best-colored gel pens for writing. With 120 different colors to choose from you can make your journaling and note-taking more vibrant and organized.
The high quality of this gel ink is consistent with no skips and the fine tip makes writing neat and organized. These pens include “magical” ink colors which start as one color when you write and dry into a different color, making your writing experience more fun.
Many people have said that these are the best pens they have used. They are also a great product for the price.
For the price you will pay, you will be getting a great deal of 120 uniquely colored pens that are perfect the perfect colored gel ink pens for writing.
- This pack comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, including a full refund if your issue cannot be resolved.
- Some of the pens look as if the ink is not as filled as it could be.
- Because these pens are inexpensive for what you are getting, you may be sacrificing a little in quality.
10. Smart Color Art 140 Colors Gel Pens Set
Smart Color Art offers the best deal for the number of pens you get. For an affordable price point, you receive 140 uniquely colored pens, making them gel pens for drawing and adult coloring books.
The transparent barrel of these pens allows you to see the color you are drawing for better accuracy in your art. This set’s package makes for easy organization, and the colors include metallic, swirl, pastel, neon, and standard.
People who have purchased these pens love the variety of colors as well as how long the ink seems to last. The pens flow exceptionally well which avoids any skipping in drawing or writing.
With the variety offered for the price, these are the gel pens to buy if you are looking to draw or color.
- The set comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- For the price, you pay to get the most amount of uniquely colored gel ink pens on the market today.
- The pens are known to be a little scratchy on the paper and don’t necessarily flow as well as other gel pens.
Making the Decision
The decision of which gel pen to buy depends on personal preference. Are you planning to bullet journal? Color in adult coloring books? Or would you rather take notes in class and doodle? No matter what you plan to do there is are gel pen on this list for you!