What are the best markers for artists? There are many answers to that because it depends on the artist and the kind of art that may be produced.
Finding the right kind of markers can become a costly process. It can also be very aggravating. We have found the top 12 markers that will fit almost any artist.
Let us save you time and money by providing you with the top 12 markers on the market. What are the best markers for artists? Let us show you all the different kinds available. Continue reading to find the perfect artist marker for you.
Best Markers for Artists:
Uni-Posca Paint Marker Pen – Medium PointView at Amazon
Uni Posca Paint Markers are available in a 15-count set. It includes white, light blue, gray, brown, orange, peach, light orange, yellow, pale, green, purple, blue, green, pink, red, and black.
Since this is not alcohol-based ink they do not bleed and are waterproof. The medium tip gives plenty of marker area for coloring and still has the ability to do some finer details.
Though these are not the markers for everyone they still are great markers for canvas and projects. They are a professional brand of marker that will work on numerous types of surfaces.
Where it is painted, you get full coverage of color and fast-drying projects. Substantially this is acrylic paint in a marker.
- Paint markers will work on a variety of color surfaces including black
- Permanent ink
- Full coverage
- Long-lasting and dry quickly
- They do not leak or have paint pool on your project
- Quality nibs that last
- Do not have strong odors
- Limited the number of colors available
Tombow 56185 Dual Brush Pen Art MarkersView at Amazon
Tombow offers several different color options in their 10-pack markers. Color schemes that you can choose from are bright, pastel, grayscale, landscape, portrait, primary, and secondary.
Perfect for all different types of painting. The 9 colors and blender pen are equipped with a flexible brush tip and one fine tip. For the price, there are some of the best art markers for artists.
Consumers recommend this set of markers for those on the go. They are compact and easy to carry.
The markers are able to layer and blend beautifully. These are water-based markers so they will perform differently from the alcohol-based markers.
- Durable and flexible nylon brush tip for medium and bold strokes in one pen
- Fine tip for detail work and consistent lines
- Tips are self-cleaning after blending
- Translucent ink that will layer and build as you want
- Can be manipulated and blended with water or paintbrush
- No strong scent to the markers
- Must use thick paper so it won’t pill or tear
- Only 9 colors are available and can be limiting to some artists
Caliart Dual Tip Art MarkersView at Amazon
Caliart offers good art markers for hobbyists or professional artists. They are waterproof, fade-resistant, and permanent on most surfaces.
They will work well on paper, ceramics, plastic, and other mediums. The set comes with 99 colors and 1 blender pen.
Markers have dual tips with a fine bullet end and a chisel tip for more versatility in coloring or drawing. The color-coded caps allow users to find the correct color easily in the included zipper case.
Consumers love the quality and variety of colors with this set of markers. They are long-lasting, and you get a lot for what you pay.
Caps are not true to the color of the marker, but that is often the case for markers. It is also necessary to use scrap paper behind your artwork so that you do not have to bleed through the mess.
- Highly pigmented and vibrant colors
- Long-lasting and will last about 300m of coloring or drawing
- Fast-drying ink that will not smudge and will blend to increase the intensity
- Black carrying case with zipper for storage and travel
- Comes with 99 colors and a blender pen
- Includes a carrying case to keep markers safe
- Ink is high quality, fade-resistant, and permanent
- Some colors are very similar to each other
- Tip colors were not uniform in both ends of the pen
Ohuhu Dual Tips Permanent Art MarkersView at Amazon
Ohuhu is a reasonably priced, alcohol-based marker. These are good quality art markers that are great for the beginner or professional.
You get 80 vibrant colors that come in a black zippered carrying case. Their blend ability will add a new dimension to your art and help you to take it to the next level.
Consumers prefer these over other markers because they are affordable and of great quality.
The markers do tend to bleed due to the alcohol-based ink but give great results even in coloring books. You receive a wide variety of colors in the set. Even without a blending marker, these will blend out well.
- Alcohol-based ink
- Dual tips: Chisel and Fine tip
- Color-coded caps for easy identification
- Blend well and have vibrant color
- Wide variety of colors
- Come in a carrying case for easy transport
- The bullet tip is not uniform throughout all colors
- Not many skin tone colors
Copic Markers 6-Piece Sketch SetView at Amazon
Copic is high-quality markers that have been used in the artist world for years. They are available in different color combinations.
The sketch set comes with skin tone markers, while you can purchase the other sets to have a larger variety of colors. Sets are cheap and will offer outstanding performance.
To extend the life of your markers, always store them horizontally.
Consumers love these high-quality markers. It can be pricey to build a complete color set; however, the markers last much longer than other brands.
They also give professional results in your artwork that do not fade or change over the years. Color will lay down smoothly and you can do several passes, without streaks, to achieve denser tones.
- Vibrant smooth color that will apply evenly and dry quickly
- Refillable: replace nibs and refill the marker
- Compatible with the Copic airbrushes set
- Alcohol-based ink is permanent
- Long-lasting, fade-resistant color
- Colors lay down smooth and are workable
- Can buy additional nibs, refill, and personalize your markers
ARTEZA Everblend Art MarkersView at Amazon
ARTEZA Everblend Art Markers are highly pigmented markers that are able to shade, layer, and blend without any issues. They can work on paper, glass, wood, and plastic.
An ideal tool for anime, architecture, cartoons, or fashion illustration. The dual-tipped marker is stored in a zippered canvas case with a strap.
Allowing for easy transportation of your markers and art. Though it comes with 60 markers, the case is able to hold up to 72 markers, giving you plenty of space for storing other tools or materials.
This is a preferred marker for many artists. The markers lay down color beautifully and smoothly. It is able to blend seamlessly between colors.
The added blender pens make this set complete. The carrying case has 12 open slots that give you space to add other markers and is perfect for toting around your art supplies. It is lacking in skin tones, but for the price that is not a deal breaker.
- Blendable colors and smooth formula
- Dual tips that are perfect for laying down a color or adding details
- Includes a lightweight case that has a handle and strap
- Triangular barrel for a comfortable grip
- A tip can be replaced
- Many colors and a blender pen
- The very nice carrying case that has room for more markers
- Do not bleed as badly as other brands
- Lays down smoothly
- Could use more transition shades
- Not many skin tones
Prismacolor 3620 Premier Double-Ended Art MarkersView at Amazon
Prismacolor is a preferred brand for many artists. They are inexpensive and will give great quality. This set offers 12 dual-tipped markers with a fine bullet tip and chisel tip.
This set can also be purchased in larger sets to have more color options.
The colors are vivid and true. A professional quality marker that is perfect for the student or an experienced artist.
Consumers prefer this set of markers because it has been around for a long time, so you know the quality it good.
The markers are high quality without breaking the bank. The markers do not streak, which is common with many types of markers.
- One ink source for consistent ink color
- Dual tip for full coverage and detailed work
- Fade-resistant ink will keep your work beautiful for years to come
- Long-lasting markers and fade resistant
- Color variety
- Vibrant ink that doesn’t streak
- Do not have a brush tip
- Don’t blend well with other brands
Shuttle Art Alcohol Marker PensView at Amazon
The Shuttle Art Alcohol Markers are quick-drying markers that are perfect for almost any use you can think of. The perfect marker for professional artists or hobbyists.
For such an affordable price of 30 markers, this deal cannot be beaten. The barrel includes dual tips for detail work or broad coverage.
Use to make your own comics and graphic designs. Markers for adult coloring books are also suitable. The caps are color coded for easy identification.
For artists, this set of markers is a win. No other brand can offer this price point with the quality. They can be used for coloring, illustrating, or sketching.
Your imagination is the only limit. The markers do not leak, and the nibs are strong. This type of ink will saturate and using the proper paper is necessary for bleeding or feathering purposes.
- Multiple colors for a variety
- Vibrant, alcohol-based ink for blend-ability and smooth transition
- Color-coded cap for easy identification of colors
- Dual tip for more range of detail or color coverage
- Price vs. Number of markers is great
- Keep a vibrant color and do not fade or streak
- Sturdy markers that will last long
- Will bleed if using the wrong paper
- The color range is somewhat limited depending on the art you design
Artify Artist Alcohol Based Art Marker SetView at Amazon
Artify Artist Markers come in a clear protective case with a handle. It comes with 40 vibrant colors including a blender pen that can change the colors.
Markers have a triangle grip that adds to their comfort design. The dual tip gives artists a broad and fine tip to be able to create many different designs using one marker.
Get the most accurate line control using the dual tips. These cheap markers for artists give a lot of value.
Although these are cheap markers, they do not lack in quality. Consumers prefer them for the many colors and the durability of the markers.
The carrying case is an added bonus that makes these markers even easier to carry around and keep track of. The blender pen does extend the color range.
- The triangular barrel gives more comfort and grip when holding
- Chisel and fine tips allow more even line control and variety for your drawings
- Consistent ink flow, so you get continuous application regardless of speed
- Perforated, color-coded cap for easy removal and identification
- Carrying case to keep the markers contained and easy to travel with
- Continuous ink flow and blends well
- Variety of colors and a blender pen to expand them
- Inexpensive without sacrificing the quality
- Can leak if not stored properly
Premium Metallic Marker PensView at Amazon
The Premium Metalic Markers are great for those who like to color in books, card making, rock painting, and ceramics or glass.
Fine-tipped markers that will easily mark on light or dark surfaces. This is a great colored markers for artists and hobbyists.
At this price point, the artist markers perform well. They are great for making cards and working with dark-colored paper.
Fast-drying ink prevents the markers from smearing when used.
- Available in 12 vivid metallic colors
- Can be used on many different surfaces and maintain their quality
- Vibrant even on black paper
- Inexpensive artist marker that will work on many surfaces or colors
- Metallic ink performs beautifully on black paper
- The narrow tip is perfect for lettering and coloring
- Only have 12 colors available
- Does not blend with other colors
- Marker caps are not a good indicator of the color of the marker
Faber-Castel Pitt Artist Brush PensView at Amazon
Faber-Castel Pitt Artist Brush Pens offer a modern brush nib design with traditional Indian ink. This gives more complexity and diversity in the type of art that can be created.
The pens are not only waterproof but fade-resistant. Perfect for being able to layer with other mediums or for detail work.
Unlike similar markers, these will not bleed through the paper and are not prone to feathering. Markers come in a slide-out storage case that will keep markers together and easy to carry.
This set of markers is a great addition to your art supplies. They offer versatile uses with a brush nib and they do not bleed through paper.
Can be used to do fine details or to add color over a broad area. Work really well with lettering and writing. A good go-to for cartoons or sketching.
- Durable brush nib that gives freedom in the type of work you create
- 24-color set in a storage case
- Fade-resistant markers that are waterproof and made from Indian ink
- Bold, vibrant colors
- Vibrant colors that do not bleed or feather
- India ink which is acid-free and permanent
- Brush tip that is able to complete fine details or broader strokes of color
- Can be awkward for some left-handed people
- Not many colors
- Do not blend well
Sharpie Paint MParkerView at Amazon
They offer a full-coverage paint that is water-based. It is capable of covering many different mediums and won’t bleed through paper.
It is safe to be used by children. The paint is also fade-resistant and acid-free. For those who are looking to be able to do art projects, scrapbooking, posters, or rock painting this is a great option. It will not run or drip when used.
This paint pen is preferred by consumers because it is so versatile. This is one of the longer-lasting paint pens and is able to be used for many kinds of art projects.
Though there are not many colors, it does have enough to be able to get the job done. It is also safe for kids to use and will work at home or in the classroom.
- A medium point that is able to color small or large areas easily
- Paint is water-based and won’t bleed through paper
- Non-toxic, acid-free, and fade-resistant formula
- Water-based formula that is waterproof
- A versatile pen that can accomplish many types of jobs
- Safe for use by anyone
- Can be used on most surfaces
- Is permanent and fade-resistant
- Not a lot of colors are available
- If stored wrong, it can be messy
Go Get Yours Today
Now that we have given you all the information on the different artist markers out there and the top 12 available, it’s time for you to go get some markers. Why wait to do your art?
If it is in your price range, I would highly recommend Copic. These are the best artist markers on the market. However, this is not in the budget for most artists. Depending on your level of use, hobby versus professional, the next best option would be the Caliart or Artify. Regardless of the ones you choose, all the above will work for almost any artist or hobbyist.
So, don’t wait! Choose your artist markers today!