If you have a drawing or message that needs to stand out strongly and last a long time, permanent markers are an excellent way to go. In this post, you’ll see some of the best permanent markers available.
We have been using permanent markers for a long time, so we know what to look for when buying them. We’ve used them practically in everyday life, as well as in our artwork.
We’ve sifted through the most popular permanent markers to help you find the ones that will most likely meet your needs. This list will help you compare the features of each permanent marker to make your search clearer and easier.
Best Permanent Markers:
1. Sharpie Permanent MarkersView at Amazon
Sometimes it’s best to be safe by relying on Sharpie markers, which are an iconic and reliable standard for marker users.
Consumers love Sharpie permanent markers and consider them a reliable necessity. They praise their versatility and usefulness. Consumers who don’t like Sharpie markers are often hard to find because they’re quite rare.
Sharpie provides some of the best and strongest black permanent markers on the market. Every other color available from this brand is equally strong and satisfying. A sharpie is a classic option that will always be useful.
- Sufficiently permanent on most surfaces and materials
- Fast-drying ink won’t fade or wash away easily
- The color of the ink is vibrant, vivid, and eye-catching
- Excellently-designed marker tips help create detailed lines
- Come in a wide variety of colors
- Sharpie markers are very permanent and can be used on many surfaces
- The ink stands out strongly
- Certain types of Sharpie markers have ink that contains xylene, which is extremely toxic to inhale or ingest
- The ink will often bleed through paper
2. Copic MarkersView at Amazon
Although a bit on the more expensive side, Copic markers are a great option for artists who want to color with permanent markers.
Most buyers were artists interested in coloring their work. They were satisfied with the visual results they ended up with. Some say that there is a bit of a learning curve because they aren’t totally easy to use. A few buyers also felt like the color options were limited.
With an ink formula that doesn’t ruin paper, Copic markers are an excellent tool for most artists. They require skill to use, but this leads to the high-quality results you can get from them.
- Have a non-toxic ink formula that is alcohol-based
- The marker ink can be refilled
- The tips on these markers are replaceable
- Paper doesn’t become soaked by the ink formula because it isn’t water-based
- Ink flows smoothly and consistently
- Because the ink dries acid-free, the paper doesn’t get ruined
- Perfect for coloring hand-drawn artwork
- Copic markers aren’t effective on many surfaces
3. Ohuhu MarkersView at Amazon
Artists with a knack for coloring will have a very fun time using Ohuhu markers.
Those who purchased this product were primarily artists. Many of them were happy about how the ink flowed and how much fun it was to use these markers. For the price, these markers had a lot of value for artistic individuals.
At a reasonable price, Ohuhu markers are some of the best cheap and permanent marker pens for artists. These double-tipped markers will entertain almost anyone who uses them. They’ll undoubtedly enhance your hand-drawn artwork.
- The ink is permanent and fade-resistant
- The ink dries fast, preventing unwanted smudges
- Each of these markers comes with two tips that have different sizes
- The ink is alcohol-based and consists of vibrant pigments
- Different tip sizes have different line styles and effects on artwork
- Come in a wide variety of colors
- They have two tips on both ends, making them practical and convenient
- They serve as a great enhancement to hand-drawn artwork
- They’re mostly useable on paper and not many other surfaces
- There’s no mention of their toxicity.
4. AmazonBasics Permanent MarkersView at Amazon
Amazon is a very huge brand that has created its own massive product line, and they’ve even produced its own permanent markers.
Customers did not feel like these permanent markers could stand against other more well-known brands. Their permanency was questionable and unreliable. However, some customers turned over to these markers.
AmazonBasics permanent markers may not be a great replacement for other brands. However, if you want a black permanent marker to use for surfaces like metal or wood, they aren’t the worst choice to make.
- Their permanent ink stands out strongly and boldly
- The ink is certified as non-toxic
- Fast-drying ink is immune to smudges or fading
- These markers can be used on almost all surface types
- The ink formula is guaranteed to be safe and reliable
- They can be used for so many different things because of how well they work with surfaces
- The ink often bleeds through paper
5. Shuttle Art Permanent MarkersView at Amazon
Another reliable option is Shuttle Art permanent markers. These markers offer everything you’d expect from permanent markers and function just as well as almost any other brand.
A majority of consumers were satisfied with Shuttle Art’s permanent markers. They felt that these markers were decent enough to meet their expectations and needs. Some were clearly disappointed with the quality, stating that they run out of ink too fast.
Of all the permanent marker brands out on the market, Shuttle Art provides one of the widest color schemes. Various tones and shades of a single color are used in just one set. This is ideal for a creative and colorful artist.
- Have rich and vivid colors that resist fading
- The ink is confirmed to be non-toxic
- No smearing will occur due to the ink’s formula
- Work on many textures and materials
- Many colors and tones are given with these markers
- The color variety makes these markers extra useful in artwork
- These markers can be used in many different ways and for many different purposes
- Marker ink bleeds through the paper if it’s over-saturated
6. Uni-Posca Paint Marker PenView at Amazon
Uni-Posca paint marker pens are a bit of a deviation from standard permanent markers because they use paint-like ink. The formula is perfect for objects that aren’t commonly colored with permanent markers.
Buyers heavily promoted the ink, colors, and pumping technology used for Uni-Posca paint marker pens. Nearly every feature was praised. A few buyers were frustrated with the amount of skill needed to use these markers.
For an experience that mimics painting, use Uni-Posca paint marker pens. They are some of the best permanent fabric or wood markers available. You can easily decorate objects with this paint pen and confidently know that the paint-like ink will stay there forever.
- The ink in these pens is permanent, but only on certain surfaces
- These marker pens will work on a decent number of materials
- Their ink formula is water-based, waterproof, and non-toxic
- Different color assortments come in a variety of marker packs
- No bleeding occurs due to the consistency of the paint-like ink
- Paper or porous surfaces won’t be oversaturated due to the non-bleeding formula
- The ink is vibrant and very compatible with materials like fabric and wood
- It isn’t easily removable and must even be scraped off certain surfaces
- The permanency is variable and dependent on the surface type
7. MyArTool Metallic Marker Pens, Gold and Silver Metallic Permanent Markers for Artist IllustrationView at Amazon
To make your lines shiny and sparkly, use metallic markers. MyArTool Gold and Silver metallic marker pens are a worthy choice.
The gold and silver marker pens by Frienda were a dazzling and exciting product for consumers. Their permanency and reliability made them an excellent purchase. Consumers said that these markers served as an excellent replacement for other marker brands, depending on what they were used for.
MyArTool Gold and Silver metallic markers will strongly stand out on dark surfaces, which is unlike most permanent markers. They come with an added effect that’s eye-catching and pleasing to look at. Anything you create with them will grab as much attention as possible.
- These markers write smoothly and dry quickly
- The ink formula prevents bleeding and smudging
- Waterproof ink makes these markers permanent
- Provide a special visual enhancement to art projects or everyday objects
- Work on both light and dark surfaces very well
- The gold and silver ink adds extra sparkle and style to anything it’s used on
- These markers work in places where most permanent markers don’t
- There are only two colors, so you won’t get much variety
8. Marks-a-lot Avery Permanent Marker, Regular Chisel Tip, Black (07888), 12 markersView at Amazon
Avery is a brand that’s been creating high-quality office supplies for decades. Their Marks-A-Lot permanent markers are no exception.
Some buyers had mostly positive things to say about Avery Marks-A-Lot permanent markers. A large number of buyers complained that the ink wasn’t as bold as they wanted it to be. They also felt that it ran out of ink way too quickly. There were still buyers who saw this as a reliable and long-lasting product.
Avery Marks-A-Lot permanent markers are perfect for plastic or metal surfaces. You can label anything in your office with them. With their bold ink, they’ll catch the attention easily.
- Endure harsh conditions and resist fading or water removal
- Excellent to use for signs and labels
- The chisel tips help create lines of many different sizes
- The ink is certified as non-toxic
- The ink is odorless
- Work with many different materials and textures
- These markers are odorless and very safe to use
- The ink will resist wear and tear, making it great for signs
- These markers won’t dry out fast if the cap is left off
- The ink is very difficult to remove and wash off
9. BIC Intensity Metallic Permanent MarkersView at Amazon
Metallic markers are fun to use and look at, but that fun is enhanced when color is added. BIC Intensity metallic permanent markers have a dazzling effect that comes in many different colors.
Most consumers loved these markers. Their metallic sparkle is visually-pleasing. A few consumers wanted these markers to work on more surfaces or to have more available colors. Consumers weren’t always pleased with how long these markers lasted, but a majority of them had few complaints.
Make your writing or drawings more visible on dark surfaces by using BIC Intensity metallic permanent markers. Use some color to add variation to your work and attract as many eyes as possible.
- The ink is non-toxic and free of odor
- The metallic ink is dazzling and eye-catching
- They come with a comfortable rubber grip to increase control
- Stands out on both light and dark surfaces
- Very compatible with porous surfaces
- Have a very interesting and alluring appearance
- There are many metallic colors available
- The ink isn’t completely permanent on all surfaces
10. Arteza Fabric MarkersView at Amazon
If you intend on using permanent markers to color clothing, you may as well go for a brand of permanent markers specifically designed for that, such as Arteza Fabric Markers.
According to certain customers, the tips of these pens were made of a weak fuzz that easily fell apart. The bleeding ink was also an irritating problem for some people. Overall, most people who bought this product had nothing bad to say.
Arteza specifically designed these markers for use on fabric, which is why their fabric markers are of such high quality. Artists will greatly appreciate these markers, especially if they want to spice up their wardrobe with their own creations.
- The ink is water-based and reliably permanent
- Every one of these markers has two tips of different sizes
- The ink is certified to be non-toxic
- They work well with paper and fabric
- Each marker has two tips, making them great to use for artwork
- These markers are guaranteed safe to use
- Fabrics must sometimes be ironed in order to ensure that the ink can’t be washed off
Making the Decision
The type of permanent markers you choose will depend on what you intend to do with them and what surfaces you want to use them on. By knowing this ahead of time, your purchase will satisfy you more.
Sharpie markers are still undoubtedly one of the most reliable brands of permanent markers out there. For markers that work on both light and dark surfaces, choose Frienda Gold and Silver metallic marker pens.
Permanent markers can be safe, fun, and visually appealing. They serve an important purpose, both practically and artistically. They’ll always have a place in offices or art studios.