Photo booths are fun to set up whether at your special event or to promote your brand. Using the photo printers for photo booth applications is essential for the event to go smoothly.
We’ve reviewed the photo booth printers to help you find the one right for your needs. Key factors we took into consideration were print resolution, print speed, ease of use, and available print sizes.
We enjoy photography and have learned about printing our high-quality photographs. Continue reading to quickly find a photo booth printer you’ll be happy using.
Best Photo Booth Printers:
1. Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Compact Photo Printer
Do you only need a photo printer for personal use? We have found this model the portable photo printer for photo booth applications at home and on the go.
It weighs 5.89 pounds, compared to the 30+ pounds of a business photo booth printer. This photo printer supports AirPrint, so you can print photos directly from an iOS device. It also has wireless connectivity for initiating printing from your WiFi network.
Available print sizes include 2.1″ x 2.1″, 2.1 x 3.4″, 3.5″ x 4.7″, and 4″ x 6″. Print speed for a 4″ x 6″ photo is 47 seconds. For a borderless card-size photo, the print speed is 39 seconds. This is too slow for large events, so consider another option on this list for high-volume needs.
People who use this photo printer for personal use love the quality of the photographs and the portability of the machine. They say it’s easy to use too.
If you want the ability to print photos away from home, this is a good photo booth printer for you.
- 300 dpi resolution for the stunning printed photograph
- Water-resistant prints that keep your photos looking good for many years
- WiFi connectivity that lets you initiate printing over your WiFi network
- AirPrint compatibility gives you the option of printing photos from your iOS device
- Included HeroFiber Gentle Cleaning Cloth for safely cleaning the photo printer
- Photos last a long time
- Has a wireless printing option
- AirPrint compatible
- Comes with a quality cleaning cloth
- Not fast enough for large events
2. DNP Event Photo Printer DS-RX1HS 6″ Dye Sublimation, for Booth Portrait Printing
In this bundle deal, you receive a carrying case and a box of 4″ x 6″ media good for 1,400 prints. Like the HiTi P525L Compact Dye Sub Photo Printer, this photo booth printer has a 3-year advance exchange warranty.
For a business photo booth printer, the DNP DS-RX1HS is lightweight. It’s a few pounds lighter than the HiTi P525L Compact Dye Sub Photo Printer. The print speed for 4″ x 6″ photos is 12.4 seconds. Other print sizes this machine supports are 6″ x 6″, 2″ x 6″, and 6″ x 8″.
You can use the printer in two different modes: high speed and high resolution. Print resolution is 300 x 300 dpi in high-speed mode and 300 x 600 dpi in high-resolution mode. The brand has an app available that you can use to monitor how many prints are left, the type of media loaded, and print status.
Consumers say the bundle comes at a great price for the quality of the machine and the included carrying case and media kit. It prints high-resolution photos fast and reliably. The photo booth printer is also easy to set up and use.
We think the printer for the photo booth business is the DNP DS-RX1HS. It was designed for this purpose and performs reliably during high-use events.
- 300 x 600 dpi and 300 x 300 dpi for high-resolution photos
- Available app for monitoring remaining prints, type of loaded media, and print status
- Carrying case that protects your printer while transporting it
- Media kit included to get you started with 1,400 4″ x 6″ prints
- 12.4-second print speed to keep up with demand at large events
- High resolution up to 300 x 600 dpi
- Easy to set up and use
- Comes with a carrying case and a media kit
- Fast print speed
- Suitable for photo booth businesses
- Has an app you can use to monitor the printer
- Comes with a 3-year advance exchange warranty
- Pricey pick
3. Epson PictureMate PM-400 Wireless Compact Color Photo Printer
This photo printer is one of the best choices for home use. It only weighs 6 lbs, so you can easily move it around as needed. You could use the printer at intimate events like weddings and parties.
If you feed the photo printer glossy paper, you can create glossy photos. This Epson photo printer supports wireless printing too. We wouldn’t recommend choosing it for a photo booth business because it’s limited in print sizes. You can print 4″ x 6″ and 5″ x 7″ photos. A borderless 4″ x 6″ prints in 36 seconds.
Consumers love how great their family photos turn out with the Epson PictureMate PM-400 Wireless Compact Color Photo Printer. Its photo correction feature improves the color accuracy of skin tones.
The Epson PictureMate PM-400 Wireless Compact Color Photo Printer is a great home-use printer for those who want to print pictures of people. It automatically removes red eyes and ensures accurate printing of skin tones.
- 2.7-inch color display that makes it easy to preview your photos before printing them
- 5760 x 1440 dpi print resolution for vibrant, detailed photos
- Wi-Fi Direct provides the ability to print photos from your WiFi network
- Epson Connect lets you print photos from your mobile device even when you’re not at home
- Built-in automatic photo correction that improves the quality of your photos
- Photos last up to 200 years
- Photos are resistant to scratches, water, smudges, and fading
- Capable of printing glossy photos if you use glossy paper
- Accurate colors for skin tones
- Can print wirelessly and remotely
- High-resolution photos
- Can only take Epson Genuine Inks
4. Fujifilm Ask 300 Quick Print Station Dye-Sublimation Digital Printer
This photo booth printer has several finishing formats, including ID, standard, and template-ready. The paper that you feed this photo booth printer has proprietary coating technology, which improves the color accuracy of skin tones and scenery.
This printer has an energy-efficient design. It doesn’t use more than 0.5 watts in standby mode.
Print sizes supported by the Fujifilm Ask 300 are 3.5″ x 5″, 4″ x 6″, 5″ x 7″, and 6″ x 8″. All sizes have a high print capacity. You’ll get 800 prints per 4″ x 6″ box and 400 prints per 6″ x 8″ box. 4″ x 6″ photos print at a 12.3-second rate. 3.5″ x 5″ photos print in 11.2 seconds.
Consumers say the photo printer is easy to set up and use. The photos print fast and turn out beautiful. They say it has worked well during their events.
The Fujifilm Ask 300 is suitable for business use and creating IDs. It automatically corrects poor lighting, underexposure, overexposure, excessive backlight, and high contrast.
- Image Intelligence that automatically corrects common problems with pictures, such as underexposure, overexposure, and poor lighting
- The dust-proof design ensures your photos come out clean
- 300 dpi print resolution for high-quality photos
- Compact size: (10.8 x 17.6 x 17.5 inches), suitable for any retail environment
- Prevents dust from contaminating photos
- Automatically corrects common photo problems to ensure beautiful prints
- High-resolution photos
- Finishing formats
- Suitable for ID photos
- 1-year warranty
5. HiTi P525L Compact Dye Sub Photo Printer
This photo booth printer is designed for business and event use. Compared to other business photo printers, it is small in size and is lightweight.
The printer produces high-resolution images to ensure customers receive the quality photos they expect. You have the option of checking the printer status through hard keys and available software.
The HiTi P525L Compact Dye Sub Photo Printer is suitable for creating passport and ID photos. Through the brand’s software, you can use photofinishing tools for ID/passport photos and event photos.
It’s capable of producing 15 print sizes, including 1.33″ x 6″, 2″ x 6″, 4″ x 6″, 6″ x 6″, 3″ x 6″, and 3″ x 8″. With a WiFi dongle, you can use wireless printing on this machine.
Most consumers are happy that this photo booth printer produces high-quality prints and can cut paper for different sizes. They say it’s easy to install and use. Some people find the machine too heavy and too loud.
With so many photo sizes and fast, reliable operation, we consider this product the dye sublimation printer for photo booth applications.
- 300 dpi prints for beautiful high-resolution photos
- Compatible with numerous print kits to offer your guests a wide range of photo sizes
- Available software lets you monitor print progress and refine photos
- Compatible with WiFi dongles to give you the option of wireless printing
- A 3-year advance exchange warranty protects your purchase
- Fast, high-resolution photos
- 15 different photo sizes
- Easy to install and use
- Available software to improve the machine’s functionality
- Capable of wireless printing with a WiFi dongle
- Suitable for business and event use
- 3-year advance exchange warranty
- You need to use a WiFi dongle for its wireless function
6. Mitsubishi CP-K60DW-S Eco-Value Dye-Sub Photo Printer
This photo booth printer uses 96% less energy when it’s in standby mode. It produces high-resolution photos with your choice between a matte and glossy finish.
You can print two different sizes from a single media paper. A 4″ x 6″ photo takes 11.4 seconds to print. This photo booth printer is suitable for business applications. Aside from 4″ x 6″ photos, you can print 2″ x 8″ and 6″ x 8″ photos.
Consumers are happy with the quality of this photo booth printer. They say it prints quality photos fast and doesn’t need refilling often.
This photo printer is suitable for use at photo booths and large events. We especially like that you can print glossy and matte photos without changing the paper.
- 300 dpi print resolution for high-resolution photos
- Standby mode that reduces energy consumption by 96%
- 11.4-second print speed for fast prints during high-volume events
- Matte finishing: A matt finish is a highly textured print finish, similar to that of a satin finish. It is much duller and does not reflect light.
- High-resolution photos
- Large print capacity
- Precuts photos
- Energy efficient
- 1-year warranty
- No wireless printing capability
7. Primera Impressa IP60 Photo Printer
If you find print speed the most important feature, consider the Primera Impressa IP60 Photo Printer. 4″ x 6″ photos are printed in 7–8 seconds. 2″ x 6″ photo strips are ready in 2–3 seconds.
The Primera Impressa IP60 Photo Printer weighs 8 lbs, making it easy to carry. Print sizes besides 2″ x 6″ and 4″ x 6″ include 6″ x 6″, 6″ x 12″, 6″ x 24″ and 6″ x 8″. It can produce matte, gloss, woven, and luster finishes.
This photo booth printer takes cartridges for easy loading. It’s also compatible with most of the major photo booth software. We like that you can print magnets and postcards with this printer too.
Most consumers are happy with this photo booth printer because it produces fast prints and has a lot of versatility. They also like that it’s lightweight.
With a print speed of 2–3 seconds for 2″ x 6″ strips, we think the Primera Impressa IP60 Photo Printer is the printer for photo booth strips. It’s suitable for business and personal use. The downside is it’s highly priced.
- 1200 x 4800 dpi for high-resolution prints
- Compatible with postcard stock to create postcards
- Repositionable sticker paper capability for creating stickers and props
- A built-in cutter that precuts photos for you and can cut a wide range of sizes
- No need to change materials to change the print size
- Easy to use
- Can print magnets, postcards, stickers, and props
- Under 10 lbs
- Fast print speed
- Plenty of print sizes
- 1-year warranty
8. Sinfonia CS2 Photo Printer Bundle
This photo booth printer has a fast print speed and weighs 22 lbs. It prints a 4″ x 6″ photo in 11 seconds. The machine has a high paper capacity for 4″ x 6″ photos. You can print 300 photos of this size from one roll. For the 6″ x 8″ size, the paper capacity is 150.
The Sinfonia CS2 Photo Printer delivers high-resolution photos and can cut 4″ x 6″ paper into 2″ x 6″ strips, making it easy to use at photo booths. The standard print sizes of this photo printer are 4″ x 6″, 5″ x 7″, and 6″ x 8″. You can also print photos in 5″ x 5″ and 6″ x 6″.
This photo printer bundle comes with a quality carrying case. The carrying case has a removable padded divider that helps keep accessories separate from the printer.
Customers are happy with the quality of this photo booth printer. It prints high-resolution photos fast.
If you want to print 5″ x 5″ high-resolution photos, then the Sinfonia CS2 Photo Printer Bundle is a great choice. It can produce this size as well as other print sizes.
- 300 dpi print resolution that results in beautiful high-quality photos
- Precuts 2 x 6 in. strips from 4 x 6in. paper to easily offer two photo sizes during events
- Included carrying case that protects your printer and its accessories
- Fast printing
- High-resolution photos
- Supports less common photo sizes like 5″ x 5″
- Compact for a business printer
- 3-year warranty
- Doesn’t have wireless printing capability
Factors to Consider
Whether you’re starting a photo printing business, running a fun event for customers, or printing personal photos, you should know how to spot a good photo booth printer.
If you’re using the photo printer for any type of business application involving customers, you can’t compromise on print speed.
A fast photo printer for photo booth applications prevents customers from feeling impatient waiting for their photos. Ideally, you want to choose a printer with a print speed of 15 seconds or below for medium to high-traffic events.
If you’re using the printer at home or for small personal gatherings, print speed won’t be that important to you unless you print a lot at once.
Print resolution is another important factor. You want a resolution of 300 dpi or higher to print high-quality photos.
Types of finishes
Do you prefer matte or glossy finishes to your photos? You’ll want to remember to check what type of finish a machine provides if this factor is important to you. Some printers can provide both types of finishes.
Also, remember to check the compatible print sizes before buying a photo booth printer. Most will offer 4″ x 6″ and 2″ x 6″ in addition to some other sizes but always confirm first that it can print your needed sizes.
How do you load a photo booth printer?
The exact way to load paper into a photo booth printer depends on the specific model. You typically have to open the loading tray, add the end caps to your roll of paper, insert the roll into the machine, and then feed the end of the paper into the insert.
Once the paper roll is set, you insert the ribbon into the machine following the guidelines of your model. Some are color-coded to make it easy for you to remember which end of the ribbon goes where.
Close the tray, and you’ll be ready to print. Don’t be alarmed if the printer prints a few scraps of paper. Some models do this to align and prepare the roll for printing high-quality photos.
How do you change the ink in a photo booth printer?
Some photo booth printers have spring-loaded ink containers. You just have to press on the ink cartridge and it will release for you to easily pull out. Push the new cartridge in, and it will lock into place.
When handling the ink cartridges be careful to not spill ink since it’s possible for it to leak out of the hole. Also, be careful to not touch the chip on the ink cartridge because the oil residue from your fingers may cause the machine to not recognize the ink cartridge.
Are photo booth printers easy to maintain?
Quality photo booth printers are easy to maintain. They may have a maintenance cartridge that you need to change every once in a while.
Most machines will let you know when the maintenance cartridge needs to be changed. You should run a cleaning cycle after each box of media you go through.
Always empty the catch tray before moving the printer to prevent paper scraps from getting jammed inside the printer. The roll of paper and ribbon also need to be removed before moving the printer to avoid damaging the machine.
Making the Decision
All of the items on this list can be considered the photo booth printer. It partially depends on what paper size you prefer and whether or not you’re using it for business.
We listed the HiTi P525L Compact Dye Sub Photo Printer as our top choice because it has wireless capability and 15 different photo sizes you can print. If you’re looking for a low-cost quality photo printer for personal use, the Canon SELPHY CP1300 Wireless Compact Photo Printer is your best option.