It can be very difficult to choose what kind of printer you need for your graphic design business. There are many different kinds on the market and confusion can occur. Choosing between laser and inkjet is the first step in finding the best printer for you.
We have gathered the top printers for graphic designers. Included in our list are inkjet and laser printers. While some of the printers listed are more pricey, the majority are budget-friendly and offer professional-quality prints.
So, if you are needing to find a printer for your graphic design business, look no further. We have you covered. Keep reading to find the printer for graphic designers.
Best Printers for Graphic Designers:
1. Canon IP8720 Wireless Printer
Canon is offering a wireless printer that can take your designs to the next level. It offers a full printing experience. You can print borderless prints up to 13” x 19”, without losing the details of your picture.
With wireless printing, you can print your designs and photos from almost any device. Whether you are printing a document or photo you will have superior resolution and incredible detail in your work.
Consumers have chosen this printer because it gives excellent print quality and is compact. Ink lasts a decent amount of time for an inkjet printer and is not very expensive. The total cost to print a 13” x 19” photo is under $3, depending on the type of paper used. For under $400, you can get one of the inkjet printers for graphic design.
- Prints up to 13” x 19”
- Has a 6-color ink system that gives you more details in photos
- Wireless printing from any device
- Capable of printing disc art
- Max dpi 9600 x 2400
- Excellent print quality for small or large photos
- Affordable ink and device
- Easy to use and includes wireless printing
- Low cost per square inch for photos
- Prints quickly
- Color ink is water-resistant on Canon photo paper
- Plastic paper guides and flaps
2. Epson EcoTank ET-2720 Wireless Color All-in-One
Being a graphic designer does not mean you do not need your printer to do other work. Epson offers one of the all-in-one printers for graphic designers. It is equipped with super tank ink and can scan and copy.
It is available in black and white units, and it also is compact in design. Though you are not able to buy and use generic ink with this printer, it does use ink tanks which will last for a much longer time. You can get about 2 years’ worth of printing from one set of ink tanks.
The wireless printer can print from any device and is easy to set up.
This printer is chosen by consumers because of the ink tanks. The tanks are refillable and much cheaper to replace when looking at other similar brands. Photos are printed at a decent speed and have nice details.
Setting the device up to Wi-Fi was not difficult and allows you to print from almost any device and from anywhere. Refilling the ink tanks is easy and is designed to be fail-proof. With the amount of waste, you are saving it is well worth it.
For under $350, this printer is eco-friendly and will save you money on ink.
- Comes with a set of ink tanks that will last about 2 years
- Replacement ink will last about 2 years
- One set of tanks is equal to 80 individual cartridges, so there is less waste
- Wireless printing from any device
- Max dpi 9600 x 2400
- A compact design will save space and ink is loaded at the front of the device
- The green printer that cuts down on waste
- Comes with a full set of ink to get you started
- Excellent print quality and prints quickly
- The intuitive control panel is easy to use
- The printer is not a professional quality
- Can only load about 20 pages at a time
3. Expression Photo HD XP-15000 Wireless Color Wide-Format Printer
Expression Photo has developed one of the large-format printers for graphic designers. This printer will give you professional results at home. It will print up to 13” x 19” with 6 individual ink cartridges.
The rear tray will hold about 50 sheets of paper for large projects. It is even possible to print 2-sided automatically from the front tray that holds 200 sheets. A low profile designed printer that gives professional quality in a small space.
This printer has been chosen by consumers because of its compact design. It does not take up a lot of space and will still give you high-quality, professional prints.
By connecting wirelessly, you do not have to worry about what device is set up. Almost any device will connect and print with little effort. The specialty tray for larger projects will print beautifully and is easy to use.
This printer offers professional printing capabilities from the comfort of your home.
- Able to print on 140lb cardstock paper
- High-resolution gives professional, detailed prints
- Fast printing speed on most projects
- Wireless setup and offers ethernet printing
- Max dpi 4800 x 2400
- The wide-format printer is compact and takes up little space
- Wireless printing can be done from any device
- 2-sided document printing is automatic
- Rear specialty tray for professional projects
- Ink can become costly due to the small size of cartridges
- Some people have struggled to set the print up for use
4. Epson Stylus C88+ Inkjet Printer
Epson Stylus offers a cheap printer for graphic design. This printer has many of the same qualities as more expensive printers. Will print up to an 8” x 11” borderless photo. Included is photo editing software that will help to create calendars, photo books, and more.
Though it is a compact printer it can print up to 14 pages a minute when using color ink. It is even faster when using black ink and can print up to 23 pages. Individual ink cartridges will save you money because you will only have to replace the cartridge that has run out of ink.
Consumers choose this printer because of its ability to be used as a workhorse printer. This printer is designed to handle the printing duties of a business. You can get archive-quality photos out of it and it can print quality t-shirt transfers. Run maintenance as needed and it has lasted up to 8 years for some consumers.
For an inexpensive printer, this will get the job done and do it well. Many have reported using it successfully as their printer in their business.
- Max dpi is 5760 x 1440
- Will print on numerous types of paper
- Includes photo editing software for creating photo projects
- Fade-resistant ink will last longer than most photo lab prints
- Ink is water-resistant even on regular paper
- The inexpensive printer that still has high-quality prints
- No extras like scanners or copiers, it will only print
- Installs easily and quickly
- Ink is not outrageous
- The paper feed can tend to jam
- Must be used regularly or ink will clog the printer heads
5. Canon Pixma Pro-100 Wireless Color Professional Inkjet Printer
Canon Pixma gives professional-quality prints at a smaller price tag. Using an 8-ink dye you can get amazing color combinations and vivid images.
It comes with additional software that will improve your ability to get great results. Print wirelessly, from USB, or ethernet for a more customized experience. Two paper trays give more options for paper sizes and types.
Consumers have chosen this printer for the professional quality that it offers. The quality is equal to better than drugstore photo printing. Capable of handling thick paper and glossy paper, you will get excellent results. Ink will last in this printer and is easy to replace.
If you are in search of a high-quality graphics printer, this one is for you.
- Max dpi 4800 x 2400
- 6 individual cartridges for better color and details in photos
- Wireless printing from most devices
- Can print up to a 13” x 19” size
- Compact design
- Professional-quality prints
- Can use small or large paper and print on many different types of paper
- Uses ink effectively and will last a long time
- Takes about an hour to set up
- Replacement printer heads are hard to find
6. Epson Expression Photo XP-8500 Wireless Color Photo Printer
Epson Expression is a small and powerful printer that offers all-in-one capabilities. This is the perfect printer for small graphic design businesses and individuals. Professional, borderless photos can be printed up to an 8” x 11” size.
6 individual ink cartridges give vivid photos and amazing gradations. 4” x 6” will print in about 10 seconds. No need for a computer, the printer can print from memory cards and USB.
This is a chosen printer by many consumers because of its ability to work for a graphic design business and for running the business. Print, scan, and copy with this printer.
It can print 2-sided documents and even print labels or envelopes. Professional quality photos are possible with quality color.
Should you run your own business, this is a great option for those in search of an all-in-one.
- Max dpi 5760 x 1440
- Fast, high-quality prints
- Borderless prints up to 8” x 10”
- PC Free printing with built-in USB and memory card slots
- Color LCD on the front of the printer
- All-in-one printer that can copy, fax, and print
- Prints photos quickly and with vivid color
- Print without a PC
- Uses more ink than other similar printers
7. Brother HL-L3210CW Compact Digital Color Printer
Brother offers one of the color laser printers for graphic designers. It can print up to 19 pages per minute in color. Printing is affordable and keeps professional quality. The paper tray can hold up to 250 pages to save time with refilling.
Connect wirelessly with wi-fi or you can connect using a USB cord. Reasonably priced under $200, it can benefit almost any business.
This printer is chosen by consumers due to the high yield amount in printing. It is possible to get 1000-1500 pages printed with one toner cartridge. It prints color pages quickly and does not sacrifice quality.
Toner saves mode will help to save the amount of toner used when printing and extend the life of your toner.
The affordable printer that can handle high-yield jobs.
- Uses toner which will last much longer than other types of ink
- Flexible paper handling keeps refills simple
- Several connection options for printing from many devices
- Max dpi 5760 x 1440
- Toner can yield more pages before needing to be replaced
- Accommodates multiple types of papers and sizes
- The wireless connection can be used from almost any device
- A compact printer that will not take up much space
- Photos are not as high quality as those other printers
- Can get error messages from toner
8. Epson Workforce WF-7210 Wireless Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer
Epson Workforce offers print shop quality prints without breaking the bank. You can use the wide-format printer to print up to an 11” x 17” photo. The LCD screen makes it easier to set up the device and to be able to use it with mobile devices. Use it from your tablet or smartphone, computer, and/or laptop.
Due to its quality of print and ease of use, this printer is preferred by many consumers. You get a high-quality graphics printer for a low cost when compared to other similar devices. It is a large device that can handle small or large jobs daily. Two trays are an added convenience that gives you more versatility when printing.
If you are needing a printer that can handle large jobs, this is a good option.
- High-quality photos and laser-sharp text
- Capable of borderless prints up to 13” x 19”
- Dual trays for printing different sizes
- 2.2” LCD screen for easy setup and navigation
- Max dpi 5760 x 1440
- High-quality prints in large or small sizes
- Can handle many different weights and types of paper
- Easy to set and use
- Inexpensive to print photos
- Printer heads are not replaceable
- Ink is more pricey
9. Epson Expression Premium XP-6000 Wireless Color Photo Printer
Epson Expression offers a good-quality printer for graphic designers. An ultra-slim and compact printer that is capable of giving high-quality photos quickly. Ink is affordable and is individual. It is possible to print up to an 8” x 11” borderless photo.
An LCD screen offers additional convenience to printing and makes setup a breeze. There are dedicated photo/DVD trays also. Printing documents is fast and offers 2-sided print. The wireless design allows for printing from multiple devices without having to worry about cords.
Many graphic designers choose this printer because of the price and its high-quality prints. It is easy to use and offers a scanner and copier. The ability to print from almost any device makes it easier to print photos from your tablet, phone, or any wi-fi-capable device.
If you are in search of a printer to use in your graphic design business and to help run your business, this is a good option. It is wireless with all-in-one capabilities.
- Fast printing up to 8” x 10”
- Automatic 2-sided printing
- LCD screen for fast and easy navigation
- Dedicated trays for paper and jobs
- Max dpi is 5760 x 1440
- Impressive quality of photo vividness
- Ink is not as expensive as other printers
- Can print on CD/DVD without any issues
- Able to scan, copy, and do 2-sided printing
- Was difficult for some consumers to set up
- Paper installs differently
10. Lexmark CS410dtn Color Laser Printer
A color laser printer for graphic designers is a money-saving device. This type of printer is designed to be more cost-effective and will be able to yield 1000-2000 pages. The printer can also offer 2-sided printing.
Capable of printing up to 8.5” x 14” documents or photos. Prints quietly and quickly. Perfect workhorse printer for a graphic design business.
This printer is chosen by many graphic design business owners. It can print a high volume of photos and documents without having to worry about constantly changing the ink. Toner will last much longer than any ink. Arrives with a full toner that will last a while.
Should you be in search of a printer that can handle a heavy workload, this is a great option. Though it is expensive, it is capable of handling a professional user.
- Network and mobile access
- Prints quickly and with high-quality
- Max dpi is 1200 x 1200
- Holds over 1,000 pages for less time spent on refilling paper
- Can program alerts and messages
- Can print up to 32 pages a minute in color
- Holds 1,450 sheets of paper at a time
- The LCD is easy to read and navigate
- The price is around $700
- A large device that takes up a lot of space
Factors to Consider
When choosing a printer for graphic design there will be several factors to consider. This is not a decision to make lightly. For a graphic designer, a printer is what will keep your business running.
You do not want a printer that is going to cost you a lot of money or that will not be able to handle your workload. Though some print more leisurely, many need a home printer for graphic design that can handle large jobs. Take into account the amount of printing you are planning or typically have.
Also, consider the budget you have for a printer. If you cannot afford an $800 printer, then it would not be useful to look at ones in that range.
The typical price range is around $200. Ink budget is another important factor in the budget. Some printers drink the ink and will require replacement sooner. Others, like laser printers, can handle much higher print output before needing to be replaced.
Consider how big of a print that you would like to be able to do. Though many of the printers go to the 11” x 13” size, you may require one that goes bigger. If you are someone who never prints large, there are many affordable options for smaller prints.
Always read reviews before buying a printer, or any costly item. Graphic design printer reviews may be able to save you time, money, and frustration.
All printers are not created equally and do not all work the same. Reading reviews will help you to understand what others found good and bad about a product.
Overall, find a printer that can meet your needs. Whether it is the production capabilities, connection, price of ink, price of the item, or the paper size it accommodates. Knowing what you would like in a printer will allow printer shopping to be less stressful.
In our opinion, the printer for graphic design is Epson Eco-Tank. This printer is not only affordable, but the cost is lower over time. The ink tanks are almost equal to the volume that laser printers offer. However, this printer will give higher-quality photos than a laser printer. It can also be used on more materials than a laser.
Now that you have learned about the many different printers for graphic designers, you can make an informed decision. You are now prepared to find the printer for your business.